It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:18 am

Cox Mk 1 Windscreens 
Ready for SVA

Post Cox Mk 1 Windscreens
Ok so here's where we are with the Mk 1 windscreen:

Andy has kindly lent us the cracked screen from his car. It arrived a couple of weeks ago in a huge box with tons of padding. Last week I took the screen to Pilkington's Queensborough works to check it against the fixture used to make the Mk 2 screen. In general the screen is approximately 10mm bigger all round with the top edge around 30mm taller on the centre line to create the straighter shape. First impressions are that the screen can be manufactured but that a sacrificial piece of glass may be required to avoid marks from the mould frame on the outer surface. This will of course add to the cost. The guys at Pilkington's are going to make new templates for the glass -- not too expensive -- and make a sample part. We'll then need a volunteer (s) to check the fit into the aperture. The test glass MAY be available before Christmas but I suspect its more likely in early January. No discussion on costs yet but as mentioned above I suspect some on-cost versus a Mk 2 due to the additional outer glass which will be scrapped each time. The Mk 1 screen will not be E marked at this stage -- can't see anyone needing to IVA a Mk 1 -- but will be branded Triplex XXX.

Whilst at the factory I made some other enquiries and it turns out that Pilkington can make heated screens BUT they will not be as cheap as the ones Dino sources from China. We're looking at around £150 over the standard screen including the VAT and a little margin for me. Also it appears that we can mix and match screen styles in my minimum order of 5 units so we should be able to supply tinted and top banded screens if I can get my head around all the possible combinations. Again there's some on-cost versus a plain non-tinted screen.

For those struggling with the need for E marked side glass I've had a quote but again need to order 5 sets so PM me if you're interested.

Steve

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:59 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Cox Mk 1 Windscreens
Thanks for the update Steve.
Keep me posted with the progress as I will need Mk1 screen(s).
Douglas.

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Great news Steve! Good news on the ability to mix and match too as I'll probably order an all signing all dancing one and a basic one as a spare.

Thanks to 'Guru' Rich and the Mini Spares North packaging team.

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:23 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

AndyB72 wrote:

Thanks to 'Guru' Rich and the Mini Spares North packaging team.

one and the same!

took me ages to pack that up!

8)

Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:51 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Well done the packing team! That was one enormous well engineered package -- cardboard wedges in the corners to support the screen and and a couple of hundred yards of bubble wrap. I've kept it all for the return journey -- just hope I can remember how to assemble it!
Steve

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:17 am
Profile E-mail
Where is my Number Plate?

dont you just love it when a plan comes together 8)

Well done everybody.

Keep me in the loop please :wink:

Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:01 pm
Ready for SVA

Quick update -- Pilkingtons have made the test screen -- I collected it last Friday.

Stuart/Andy you have PMs

Steve

Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:47 am
Profile E-mail