It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:28 pm

Has anybody fitted dual circuit brakes? 
On the Road

Post Has anybody fitted dual circuit brakes?
I'm going to have to fit these for the dreaded SVA test :( Has anybody done this before and what parts did you use? I've been investigating Mini master cylinders and the yellow band GMC227 seems to be the only one available; trouble is, it's 192mm long (high) and I only have approx 155mm height under the bonnet... The GTMOC technical manual has a bit about it using a Metro master cylinder but that involved cutting a bit out of the bulkhead crossmember to get clearance and I don't want to do that with SVA in mind. Is the Metro cylinder shorter than the Mini one? At the moment, it looks as if I'll need to cut a hole in the bonnet and cover it with a bulge :shock: Any advice welcome, ta :)

Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:43 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Post Re: Has anybody fitted dual circuit brakes?
Not familiar with Rossas but the most favoured solution for the coupe seems to be a bias box with 2 m/c's.
If you don't want to make something from scratch you could probably adapt the KAD Mini setup.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Unfortunately not much help on this as my Rossa is a K3 and comes with a dual system, having said that the clearance to the underside of the bonnet is errrr NIL and due to pushing/pulling of the front clam to open and shut there is a star craze through the glassfibre that is now somewhere close to 30mm diameter and is a bit unsightly so I will in the future (when other projects get out of the way) be moulding in a "power" bulge (ok a small hump) to get over the issue for the future this maybe the best way forward for you if a biabar system and twin masters isn't on the cards.

Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:34 am
Where is my Number Plate?

GTM: Cox/Coupe
:idea: on a coupe I had, the builder had used a metro twin.
He had cut a clearence hole for the bottom mounting of the master cylinder, above the pedal box mounts, and spaced the pedal box downwards in the car on steel tube spacers (with 5mm wall thickness) I think they were about 10mm>13mm long from memory :oops: .
This made the clearence that was needed to shut the front end without hitting it and the need for a lump in it. Just a plate was used to cover the hole around the master cylinder at the point of going thruogh the panel. :mrgreen:

Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:15 am
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Just to add

If you go the adjustable peddal box route, i.e somthing like the KAD setup, you will have to put lock nuts on the blance bar lockin git out for SVA i belive, as an adjustable pedal box willl fail, nothing stopping you to make it into a fully dash adjustable after tho.

WEST

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:04 pm
On the Road

I'm putting a remote servo on the coupe - this will give me (sort of) dual circuit brakes by default. It has one input and 2 outputs.

Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:34 pm
On the Road

Loads of responses - thanks :D One thing that the new regs are clear about is bias bars - they must be welded up so that they are permanently fixed. Also, I'm probably wrong but I suspect that the twin cylinders all work in the horizontal plane whereas the Rossa setup works vertically so it would be a fairly big job to convert it. The lowered coupe version is a possibility but would mean cutting a fair sized hole in the bulkhead crossmember which I don't want to do in case an inspector claims that I've weakened it. However, all is not lost.... I had an email from Alan Britton who has fitted a master cylinder from a servoed Metro so that's my first option.

Thanks again for all your help though. Now - next problem :( Has anybody ever moved the petrol tank and/or made an external filler for it? The current setup with the filler in the 'boot' is unacceptable. What next? :( :roll:

Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:36 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Raymond if you check fleabay at the minute there is a rossa that might intrest you, (item no 260345019828) the petrol tank has been relocated , you can see the filler on the bodywork to the rear of the drivers door. This isnt the first time i have see one like this , my mates rossa also has the filler in this position

Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:37 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

RaymondH wrote:
.... Also, I'm probably wrong but I suspect that the twin cylinders all work in the horizontal plane whereas the Rossa setup works vertically so it would be a fairly big job to convert it. ....

Indeed the twin m/c's do work horizontally, but if you look at the KAD pic you'll see it does the conversion from vertical for you ( Mini's are normally vertical as well of course)
On a Mini it's a straight swap so I can't imagine it's too big a job on the Rossa.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:56 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

got hold of what purported to be a metro vertical dual circuit M/C - looked like it designed to fit to a servo - modded the mounting flange flange and the mini pedal box to allow it to fit - it is actually low enough for the bonnet to close freely has a green band - not yet sorted brakes but...

Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:00 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

gorf wrote:
Raymond if you check fleabay at the minute there is a rossa that might intrest you, (item no 260345019828) the petrol tank has been relocated , you can see the filler on the bodywork to the rear of the drivers door. This isnt the first time i have see one like this , my mates rossa also has the filler in this position

That's neat but the fuel tank must be behind the seats and it's not allowed now :(

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:21 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

peterb wrote:
got hold of what purported to be a metro vertical dual circuit M/C - looked like it designed to fit to a servo - modded the mounting flange flange and the mini pedal box to allow it to fit - it is actually low enough for the bonnet to close freely has a green band - not yet sorted brakes but...

Cheers. I'm slowly getting to the bottom of this and the green band means (I think!) that it is an early Mini one from 1985ish. The only one available now is the yellow band which is a later and taller version. I think that Metro or early Mini is what I need so I'm getting there :)

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:28 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Are you close to Stoke?

I am taking the peddles master cylinders ect off my rossa to fit bias brakes.
Pretty sure they are duel circuit and they will have passed the sva.
If they are any good you can have them.

There is also a metro dash and a speedo cable(broken at speedo end but inner cable still works)

Do you want a photo?

Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:07 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I'm a long way from Stoke, I'm afraid - I'm in Dumfries in SW Scotland. I've just bought a dual circuit master cylinder on fleabay and I already have a couple of instrument panels but thanks very much for your offer, it's much appreciated :D

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I have set mine up to run twin remote master cylinders in the vertical position if you look under the thread in the Coupe section you will see pics of my modified standard mini pedal box to allow this to work. The master cylinders are cheap and realiable and are what most race/rally cars use to get dual circuit brakes.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:24 am
Profile E-mail