It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:19 am

How hard?? 
Part built GTM

Post How hard??
Would fitting a Vetc to a Rossa Mk2 be??

Found a H22a type R Vtec within my price....

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:09 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post Re: How hard??
Lurvely engine - used to have one in a JDM Prelude. But the engine is big and heavy and the trans is HUGE! If you want big power like this, go for Honda K20 on a primera box, 3sgte, or a Camry v6.

So I read, Rossas do not lend themselves well to engine conversions due to the shape of the engine bay - major surgery to the GRP would be needed.

Would be cool tho' :D :D :D

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:46 pm
On the Road

And for more ideas, try here:

http://forums.twobrutal.com/

Can't you tell i'm doing an MR2 conversion? :wink:

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:49 pm
Part built GTM

difficult but not impossible...i know a fiberglass laminator....

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:52 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Possibly more difficult than you think. The engine/trans is so wide it would likely foul the suspension arms let alone the mounts.

Limiting factor in Minis is the length of the engine and box and the wheels hitting the cambelt or box when on lock. We don't have this problem as our drive wheels don't steer. Our limiting factor is the inner suspension pivots.

That's why i'm saying V6 as it makes for a slightly shorter engine.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:04 pm
Part built GTM

Hmmm...

i was having a gander there on the forum, someone said a ibiza engine...same issue with suspension mounts? and would the cupra be same?

fiberglass laminator i was saying said " i dont see it being to much of an issue, there would be a lot of work involved tho which we might not be able to complete, maybe a job for Gerry at performance tech aswell as us, but i dont see why it couldnt be done..."

Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:19 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Ok then...

if not a vtec what other engines would be worth considering...i see West has a vaux engine in his, but his is a cox/coupe is there much diffrence in these? i am sure i saw someones name saying they had a vtec one before...

Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:30 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I though West had a Honda ?

But he changes enginines like .............

Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:57 pm
On the Road

WEST's is a Honda vtec B18. It used to have a Honda D16
I'm just starting a MR2 4A-GE conversion.
I know of another one possibly going D16 soon too.
All Coupes.

Biggest power you will get for reasonable outlay (Stuart "Turbocox" thinks it will fit) is a Mk2 MR2 Turbo motor.
If it'll fit in a Coupe, it'll fit a Rossa - but we don't have GRP "bodywork" in that area - you'll have to do a lot of chopping, then build the strength back in elsewhere where it won't foul the new motor - therefore it's a lot more work than in a Coupe.

I'd see if I could take a look at a K3 for an idea of how it could be done.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:05 pm
On the Road

Pantera2075 wrote:

I'd see if I could take a look at a K3 for an idea of how it could be done.

I'll be in for the next 10 mins if You can get from Stoke in that time :roll: :lol: 8)

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:09 pm
GTM delivered

Pantera2075 wrote:
Possibly more difficult than you think. The engine/trans is so wide it would likely foul the suspension arms let alone the mounts.

Limiting factor in Minis is the length of the engine and box and the wheels hitting the cambelt or box when on lock. We don't have this problem as our drive wheels don't steer. Our limiting factor is the inner suspension pivots.

That's why i'm saying V6 as it makes for a slightly shorter engine.

Actually I would say that the limiting factor with VTec minis is the length front to back. Its a tight squeeze between the bulkhead and the grill. If you lose the inner wings and are prepared to go for a different subframe the rest will fit happily within the body. You have the same problem in the Rossa but you have to cut lots of plastic :? instead of steel.

I looked at a Mazda V6. Not hugely powerful by modern standards but more than enough and a very compact package. I decided against because even after all the work I would be better starting with a K3 body.

Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:46 pm
Part built GTM

got another PM of the fiberglass gy today...he wanting to meet up n have a look at the GTm...seems really eeger...

Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:18 am
Profile E-mail
Where is my Number Plate?

GTM: Cox/Coupe
have you told him about the 3/4 inch (19mm) plywoon board rear bulkhead? :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:45 pm
Looking like a GTM

I've been thinking about this as a long term plan. Four metal plates with bolt holes could be bonded into a new all GRP (plus kevalr?) bulkhead. It could then be linked to a full or partial cage on the inside and the rear frame could bolt through on the other side?

Just ideas running round in my head -no drawings or measurements yet :wink:

Lots of work but obviously possible.

Regards,

Allen(7)

Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:45 pm
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Bert wrote:
.....i see West has a vaux engine in his...

How Dare you,,,,,,,,,,,,wash your mouth out with soap, and then do your keyboard :!: :!: :!: :P

The H22 is a very large lump and a bit heavier than the B series, the D series is lighter still.

I did mention somewhere on the forum or was it the old one :?: how i would go about doing a conversion in a rossa, but ill quickly summerise how i would approach it,

seeing its fibreglass, and need the loads spread over a large area i would consider chopping the whole rear off, putting a full cage in and incorperating a rear space frame from the cage, and also picking up the front subframe, It really would be the easyist and most weight efficient way to do it IMHO, plus i have been told by Rossa owners that they do lack a little trosional ridgity compared to a coupe and a roll cage would stiffen that up nicely too.

Once you get a modern 16v engine into a Coupe/Rossa or mini engine bay for that matter you will be surprised just how much room there isnt :!: and we are not just talking front to back but side to side, as once you get wheel and suspension in you have to start to be cunning with getting things around the engine/gbox and allowing it to move.

WEST

Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:21 pm