It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:10 am

Mounting seats - can I cut the floor? 
On the Road

Post Mounting seats - can I cut the floor?
Can anyone say if the two raised box sections that run across the floor and to which the seats are meant to be mounted are structural? I need to mount my seats right down on to the floor to get them as low as possible and the front box section ( the larger one) is in the way so I'd like to remove at least some of it and preferably all of it. I have mounted the passenger seat behind this but the drivers one is too far back for me. The seats need to be mounted as low as possible because there is an IVA measurement between the seat base and the upper seat belt mounting on the rear bulkhead which I'm struggling to meet and the extra headroom would be nice bonus as well. Thanks.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:06 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Post Re: Mounting seats - can I cut the floor?
i have had centre tunnel and seat mounts removed it will make the floor weak it will sag in the middle unsupported with out the centre tunnel it is only 1/2 inch ply
The seat mounts imo are best remove as i would not trust 4 riv nuts in painfully thin glass fibre to hold the seat in place in an accident
recommend they are replaced with 1/4 flat steel bonded in and drilled through the floor with large repair washers dome head bolts from underneath
if you do remove the centre tunnel the floor will need some strength put back in

Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:22 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post Re: Mounting seats - can I cut the floor?
Thanks for that Andy. I have no intention of touching the centre tunnel - just the seat mounting crossmembers. They have already had so many holes drilled in them before I got the car that they are probably weakened anyway so I'll remove them and replace them with a bit of plate like you suggested :)

Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:45 pm
Profile E-mail