It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:47 am

Hello! 
GTM on order

Post Hello!
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, but have been a GTM owner for a few years now.
Currently I own 2 GTM K3's, both in states of disrepair. I'm now trying to get one of them back on the road after about 4 years, now my daughter is a bit older and not as needy. Hopefully I can spend some time in the garage without distraction...

The cars are:-
1991 1.4 16v K3 originally red, but now resprayed black. This is the one I'm trying to sort. It needs new seats and a fresh set of carpets internally. Mechanically it needs something sorting with the awkward gearchange & clutch. I also bought a set of MGF callipers to sort out the issue with the poor handbrake, but am not sure what to do with them.

1993 1.1 K3 in original, but faded red gel coat. This was last driven back from Devon about 5 years ago and has sat in the back field since it got a crack in the windscreen. I'll sell the 1.1 when I get the 1.4 back on the road properly.

Can anyone point me in the direction of information to help me do the following:
Improve the gear change
Convert the clutch to a fluid/servo system
Install the MGF callipers and improve the handbrake.

Thanks
Simon

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:38 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: K3
Post Re: Hello!
Hi Simon,

I've just bought a K3 and am starting on a slow fix and upgrade process, my comments on your questions;

Quote:
Improve the gear change
Convert the clutch to a fluid/servo system
Install the MGF callipers and improve the handbrake.

Gear change - The previous owner of my car has done some work in this area and is on the forums here occasionally. PM me and I'll try and hook you up.
Clutch - My car has the hydraulic clutch so happy to help with pics etc or maybe a meet if you're close
MGF Calipers - I have MGF cables and some MGF disks so this is a task I need to get my head around as well

I'm happy to take some pics of my car if that helps, where are you based?

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:36 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

Hi David,

I've sent you a PM.

Simon

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:22 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have a K3 that I'm slowly getting back on the road, I was going to change the rear calipers for the MGF ones but haven't at the moment, from others experiences I believe that the MGF caliper holding bolt holes are marginely out compared the the metro ones but can be "enlarged" a little to fit. The cables however I can't help on at the moment as I haven't tried fitting my ones.

As for the clutch system, I have a list of what is required and what you need to do from someone on here who very kindly did me a very comprehensive copy of what they had done. This is something that I am contemplating but maybe a fair time in the future before I get to it. If you want a copy then I can scan it in sometime and send you one.

The gear change on my one was very poor but when I removed the seats to fit some carpets I realised that there is a steel guide plate on the inside of the body tub that was VERY loose, I re-attached this and although the system looks heath robinson the gear change is smooth and firm so i have decided to leave this alone now. I was contemplating fitting the MGF gearbox, gear lever and cables.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:02 pm
On the Road

lyndiloo wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum.

The cables however I can't help on at the moment as I haven't tried fitting my ones.

As for the clutch system

I was contemplating fitting the MGF gearbox, gear lever and cables.

Cables - when I did mine we used Rover 200/400 rear cables they were a mite long though.

Clutch - Rally Sport(?) near medway do a 'pull' clutch cylinder might be worth a look

Gear change - if You go MGF look here http://www.mikesatur.com/ - I'm told the Elise setup is a further step forward. (Was Roger from memory that chucked in both of these points)

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:04 am
GTM on order

Thanks for the replies. I'm relieved it's not just me with these problems!

I'd be very grateful for the scans Lindiloo. I'll send you a PM with my email address.
I need to replace the carpets and seats too, so I'll check for the plate you mention.
BTW, what seats have you fitted? I'm after something that will replace the Metro ones, preferably with a bit of quality back support & but not leather.

I'm not planning on changing the gearbox Malcolm, so I think the elise gearbox is out of the question now. I'm confused about your comment on the MGF cables though. Can I just buy some and fit them to replace the existing linkage to the metro 'box? I also didn't know the Rover 200 had a cable gearchange. How does the cable setup fit? How did you cope with the unwanted/extra length of cable?

Apologies for all the questions.
Thanks again.
Simon

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:08 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Hi, will sort the scan out later this weekend.

Seats in mine are metro half leather affairs that came with the car originally. I'm just over 6'2" and fitted without too much issue (but there again I'm used to driving hot rods as well and you develop a bit of a "hotrodders hunch" so this may well explain it :lol: ).

I think Malcolm was referring to handbrake cables from the 200 rather than gear linkage, but I could be wrong.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:03 pm
On the Road

Simon L wrote:
I'm not planning on changing the gearbox MalcolmSimon

I don't think I typed what I meant there.

The hand brake cables were clamped where ever we could to get rid of the slack and still give a good run.

The gear change I was thinking about the gear lever and linkage - not the gear box.

I must 'ave thought You were all clairvoyant :oops: :) 8)

Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:34 pm