It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:22 pm

how many left ... 
Part built GTM

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post how many left ...
Hi , just been on the 'how many left' site , obviously they are talking of sorned and taxed cars and there are plenty about that have not needed sorn as they have been off the road too long to need it , my example here is the mk3 spitfire (my fave) it lists 288 taxed and 126 sorn , i know there are more as i have had 2 for years and not had to sorn them.
On searching for GTM no luck however, again the same applies though it would only be sorned and taxed but it would be something...
As far as i am aware from history checks and general knowledge there were around 50 ? cox GTMs , 72 ? Heerey's and around 500 ? GTM coupes manufactured , what i would really like to know is how many are left , i realise that like anything else there may be undiscovered cars hidden away that surface from time to time but it would be nice to have a tally , is there anyone that could or would be in a position here to have a count up ? I dont know how practical it would be but being as such a small number were made a list surely could be produced that could be added to as needed ? On the Triumph one i saw online (a while ago now to be honest) the chassis numbers were listed in total (every car made!), many pages , and then whether they were still around by probably registration and then owners could list their names and details etc if they so wished.
Ultimately i think as time passes less of the older cars survive but if numbers are watched cars that may of been scrapped/stripped for parts may instead be rebuilt as happened with old minis and spitfires etc. This has to be a good thing ?
I am always surprised at the coupes value , it seems a bargain really , especially when you have a look at mini prices and the rarity, always been a mini fan though !

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:03 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post Re: how many left ...
The 'how many left' site could well be confused by how some of the cars are registered.

My K3 was registered as a "GTM Rossa K3" in the make part of the V5 with nothing in the model bit - how many variations on that theme are there :?: :? :D

Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:24 pm
Ready for SVA

Malcolm
You are correct, going back to my youth when you registered a kitcar that was built from multiple sources it received a Q plate and in general the log book would show the correct marque - hence my T&J Locust (which I built 23 years ago............OMG.......and still own......... :shock: ) shows T&J as the manufacturer and Locust as the model on the log book. My coupe however retained it's donor registration and as such you could not change the manufacturer, hence the log book shows Austin as the manufacturer but the model changed to Coupe and the registration is now noted as "non transferable".

There is a lot of waffle about "correctly registered" well having built many many kits and been through the hoops from the very early days up until SVA I know my Coupe is correctly registered within what was possible on the database systems of the time.

The only true way to do this is via a chassis number register if one exists???

Regards

David

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Hi , if everyone on this forum that had a specific model was to supply the details and encourage anyone that maybe was not on here but an owner member of an alternative club ? to do the same, i imagine that some of the questions i have seen in the past may be answered , such as how the numbers worked, in what order etc it would also give a list that could be added to so numbers of cars could be looked at.
Also wondering about the numbers of road redgistered cars left , because of racing, rust , and write offs , it would be good to know.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:19 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I realise that many different enterings on the log books makes an official search hard , but we know what a coupe/rossa/k3/libre/spyder looks like ! lol , you may have say one coupe that retains its original single donor log book that may be an austin GTM or a GTM mini , or COX GTM etc, then again a Q plate may be a GTM coupe etc, but for the purposes of record i dont think this is an issue ? There is also a GTM kit number ?

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

realscamp wrote:
...There is also a GTM kit number ?

I think this only applies to the later cars?
Certainly mine only has a chassis number and I think that was made up by th eoriginal builder.

As to the larger question - Congratulations on volunteeing to run a register :D

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

As to the larger question - Congratulations on volunteeing to run a register :D[/quote]

Hahahahahahahahahaha :lol: Well done realscamp :D

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:16 pm
Ready for SVA

The guy who owns MSM Insurance are still in touch with Paddy so we could see what information he may have available to form a "register"

Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Have emailed David Spragg and asked him to put me back in touch with Paddy to see if he retained any information of use.....

Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:41 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Paddy made it clear to me that he was not to be contacted for information when GTM was sold on to RDM.

Bob.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:37 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Paddy's going to have a look and see if he still has the information and will email it if he does.

Regards

David

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

That really is great news , the more we know the better i think. On the subject of compiling a Redgister , that sounds like the sort of thing a young computer literate member here may be able to organise with like a word / excel program, then we can add the details , like a fill in the box type of thing , maybe with enough people doing this the missing links can be penciled in , like they do with DNA strains ? maybe im thinking too much lol

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Hi , just been online and found this , from Greyhound, the story of the light sports coupe part 4 the 1960's ,
The Cox GTM (Grand Touring Mini) Coupe was another attempt to produce a sporting car utilizing BMC Mini components, this time in the mid engine configuration in a fabricated sheet steel chassis with a GRP body. Initially the quality of design and manufacture was poor at first , even so with a few different owners, over three hundred kits were sold between1966 and 1972. After a couple more changes of ownership a much improved GTM Coupe was again in production in 1980, continuing at a rate of 50 to 60 a year into the 1990's.
over 300 up to 1972 ? mmm

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:59 am
Profile E-mail
Where is my Number Plate?

if you click on link to geustbook on the index page, you'll see these posts........

25.06.2011 22:38, Ron Turner from gatwick :

Another inaccurate writeup on the Wolseley Hornet Special by some one who's never driven one.
He should see them beat ERA's etc at Silverstone or look at the Brooklands Records to see just how good they are. Perhaps he read the Profiles Book!?

28.12.2010 15:33, Jim Perrin from Ohio, USA :

Thanks for your web site! Here are a few suggestions on your Denzel writeup in the Mainly for Fun section. The number of cars produced was approximately 64, not 300. (The highest serial number car is DK 164, with Denzel having skipped 100 serial numbers.) There is no documentation or evidence that Denzel ever fitted Porsche engines to his cars. Many owners eventually changed to Porsche or VW engines when their Denzel engines needed parts, which eventually became impossible to obtain. As Wolfgang Denzel developed his cars, he ultimately had his own pistons, cylinders, crankshafts, connecting rods, etc. manufactured but continued to use the VW two-piece crankcase for all his engines.
Jim Perrin, Co-Editor, The Denzel Bulletin.

Seems the GTM history hasn't been researched correctly either :roll: :roll: :roll:

300!

Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:00 pm
Part built GTM

... thought you may like it ... i can understand the confusion though , this is taken from the history page GTM owners;

Despite strong demand for the car, production problems limited output to about one kit per fortnight. This distrupted Cox's day to day garage business and by autumn 1968, Bernard Cox decided to cease production. It is believed that just over fifty kits had been produced by the Cox garage.

The results of all this work were improved appearance and easier assembly. Heerey continued to improve the design and in early 1971, after some 170 cars had been built by the company (now known as Howard Heerey Engineering Ltd), the Heerey GTM 1-3 was announced.

The Heerey GTM 1-3 (model 1, variation 3) had been restyled with a new lower nose incorporating the Mini bumper and a new rear panel to make use of Triumph Dolomite rear lights. Under the skin, the chassis has been made lighter and easier to make by fitting a space frame structure instead of the sheet steel assembly which held the rear subframe. The space saved also allowed the radiator to be fitted alongside the engine as in a Mini. This saved having pipework running the full length of the car, and resulted in underfloor air ducts and a side vent being incorporated in the design. The Heerey GTM bore a strong resemblance to the modern GTM available today. Despite all this development work and strong sales, disaster struck the company in March 1972 when a compulsory purchase order by the local council for a road widening scheme forced the company to fold. Around 70 Heerey GTMs had been built.

Now if you add up the figures from this , that is say 50 cox's , 170 ? early heerey and 70 ? heerey 1-3 thats 290 ?
Maybe this is where the information came from ?
it definately quotes that 170 cars had been made by the company now known as heerey etc where as i thought the total from there was the 70 ish as in the last paragraph here, can't say its helping the confusion , and nothing seems definate when it comes to the cox , it is believed there were just over 50 ? if i owned a Denzel i would know for definate ... :lol:

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:47 am
Profile E-mail