It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:49 am

Bonnet catch 
On the Road

Post Bonnet catch
Can anyone tell me what the correct bonnet catch is for a MK1 Rossa please? The one that I have is the one that came (unfitted) with the car and looks as if it's off a Mini. I've spent all afternoon faffing around with it and have come to the conclusion that it's the wrong one. With the catch off the bonnet closes and lines up perfectly but with it fitted it won't close properly and the catch doesn't 'bite'. It seems that the return spring is becoming coil bound and after I replaced it with one about 25mm long I managed to close it and the spring has just enough lift to allow the bonnet to open when I pull the lever. However, the catch is only on by two or three turns so it's still a bit shorter than I'd like. Have I got the wrong one or am I missing something??

When I'm at it, what's the correct safety catch for the bonnet? I bought one off ebay and it works but is far too long, just touching the radiator when it comes down :shock: As far as I can see from the manual GTM supplied one with the kit but what was it off?

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Post Re: Bonnet catch
I've a MkII and unfortunately they're key release, not a pull cable.

Surely someone knows what theyre off?

How about using an inline bear claw latch? Car Builder solutions: PN #BEARIN

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:41 pm
On the Road

I've been looking at the CBS catches and they're a possibility if I can't get the Mini(?) one to my liking. It works pretty well but I'd like to see it screwed in a bit further. I suppose it could be cut and welded but if it's the wrong one I'd rather get the correct one if possible. Can nobody say what it's off?

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:58 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Hi Raymond

I've searched through GTM's old stock lists and discovered that the bonnet catch
and catch plate were supplied in the Mk1 kit. The donor mini catch couldn't have
been suitable.
They were obtained from Unipart, code numbers EAM2672 & EAM2691 but there
is no indication of which vehicles they were fitted to.

It is very important that a safety catch is fitted, as forward visability is considerably
reduced if the bonnet opens at speed and very frightening for the driver behind
as it rips off it's hinges and passes over your roof. I believe this has happened as
my wife's Rossa came with rubber pull down straps fitted and a spare damaged
bonnet.
Hope this info has been of some use.

PE26 2SY

rossabitz@btconnect.com

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:51 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Libra
if you have not done already google these parts numbers you will find they are still avialable from xpart dealers and about £10 and£12 each hope this solves the problem

Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:13 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Many thanks gentlemen. I've managed to get the catch working reasonably satisfactorily but the pin is still only held on by a few threads so I'll be Googling these numbers. From looking on ebay the catch plate isn't a Mini one (it's a long rectangular shape) so maybe it's the correct part and it's only a longer pin that I need.

Regarding the safety catch - many, many moons ago I was driving an ancient MG Midget home for a friend when the bonnet flew up just as I was crossing a narrow bridge :shock: I managed to stop without hitting the walls and luckily there was nothing coming in the opposite direction. The car had just been picked from a scrapyard and was untaxed, uninsured and had huge holes in the floor and bodywork so it's a good job I didn't clobber anything!! It didn't have an MOT either but that was ok since MOTs hadn't been invented then :mrgreen: Those were the days...... certainly wouldn't do it now, though. Having seen the damage caused to the scuttle of the MG by the flying bonnet I'll be making sure that the Rossa is well equipped in the safety catch department.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:05 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I finally got the new parts from a dealer in The Netherlands because nobody in the UK had them both. They cost £40 inc. p&p which I paid by Bank Transfer at the dealer's request and was then charged another £20 by the bank for the privilege :x Talk about extortionate... Anyway, they duly arrived and turned out to be exactly the same as the parts that I already have :roll: At least I know that I have the correct bits now although I still feel that the pin is too short so could maybe have 20mm or so welded into the new one. Anybody want a new bonnet catch? :wink:

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:23 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I meant to update this for the record a while ago and forgot to do it :oops: Anyway, proper measuring with a ruler rather than by eye :roll: revealed that the new bonnet pin is in fact 5mm longer than the one I had and that's enough to make all the difference so I'm happy that the bonnet is safely secured now :) I still have a new, unused latch plate if anybody needs one.

Tue May 08, 2012 10:21 pm
Profile E-mail