It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

Dropping the engine/rear sub frame 
Part built GTM

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Dropping the engine/rear sub frame
Now that the car is sorted for running and suspension, I am going to drop the engine and frame out and start to pull everything out of the car to sort out the bodywork, paint and interior finishing. Can I just drop the whole thing out the bottom? Any tips on doing this? What is the best way to disconnect the shift linkage? Thanks Mike

1966 Mini Van Honda ZC powered

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:00 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Post Re: Dropping the engine/rear sub frame
Literally just done this on mine a week ago.

I was debating the gear linkage too. in the end I unbolted the U shaped piece and hammered it through with a suitable punch (placing a jack under the rod so it wouldn't move, or break the pin). Once the front is free, the rear one was easier to remove as it could be rotated.

i was unsure about clearance to the front of the subframe from the tiebar, but as soon as i unbolted it from the chassis it moved away a good inch as it dropped. Just be aware all the weight is forward of the wheels, so support it.

I lifted the shell high enough at the rear to be able to wheel the subframe away from the car.

Hope that helps, engine rebuild is next on the cards for me :D

Steve

Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Post Re: Dropping the engine/rear sub frame
Steve, so you disconnected the U shaped rod extension from the shifter side first and then from the splined end on the tranny? I was thinking of removing the wheels and tires, and dropping the engine onto a 4 wheeled swivel dolly.. then removing the frame bolts, and lifting the car up pivoting on the front wheels, and rolling the engine and frame out on the dolly. Any other things to look out for? I assume you have to remove the carb (throttle and choke cables), disconnect all water and fuel lines, all electrical connections, grounds, speedo, brake and clutch lines, exhaust mount on the body.. and should be good to go...

1966 Mini Van Honda ZC powered

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:00 am
Profile E-mail