It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:22 am

Engine Mounts / Clutch Fork Clearance 
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Post Engine Mounts / Clutch Fork Clearance
Hi all,

I have two 1275 engines and gearboxes tucked away in the garage and yesterday I decided to drop an gearbox and block into my Rossa2 engine bay so I can start planning how things are going to fit (Im going to use a BMW K head).

I have used engine mounts mixed and matched from the two engines together with an old clutch cover I have laying around and struggled on my own to get it in somewhere about right. I need to have another play with it this morning as I could only get one bolt in per side so its not quite sitting correctly yet.

I have two questions I'd appreciate any opinions on:

1. Are all mini engine mounts the same? I'm hoping the ones I have give the correct placement of the engine in the subframe but if there are different types what ones do I need?

2. Even in its rough fit form the clutch lever (long type, pre-verto?) is touching the subframe tower? How close should the lever get to the subframe at this point? If anyone has a picture of the top of the lever and its relationship with the subframe it would be really useful.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie

Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:48 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Engine Mounts / Clutch Fork Clearance
To my knowledge there are two types Auto and Manual Mounts, due to the differences required in the subframe to fit an auto.

Then the stabilisers are used to alter the angle. From memory the arms do get very close to the subframe

Neil

Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:12 pm
Part built GTM

GTM: K3
A you tube vid showing the clutch arm working.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54sVAJcHcoY

The top stabiliser will effect how far forward/back the engine will sit.

I have seen upgrades of the original mounts with captive nuts, makes removal/replacement an absolute dream.

The owner isn't

Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:39 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Thanks for the replies chaps. It looks like the mountings are not the problem as there is only really one type for a manual set up - takes one variable out of the equation anyway.

I think I'll have to fiddle around and make sure I have everything bolted up before drawing too many conclusions. Im going to drop into mini spares this week and get a couple of new mounts to make sure, I see they do a captive nut version - as you say, they will make life much easier!!

Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:54 pm
Profile E-mail