It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:57 pm

Rossa Roof - How does it fit? 
GTM delivered

Post Rossa Roof - How does it fit?
Hi Folks,

My Rossa roof has been bonded on, but I want to remove it to give access for building a cage. There are big cavities filled with expanding foam (And a plastic cup) where I think there may be bolts.

Could anyone tell me how the roof is normally fitted, or ideally even post a link to photos, so I can see what the previous owner may have done to permanently attach it. Trying to do research before getting brutal.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice or info!

Willie

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:33 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post Re: Rossa Roof - How does it fit?
Go to the Projects forum on here, find baxter's Rossa project from 14 April 2011 (I have no idea how to make a link to this on Android :roll: ) and you'll see a couple of slightly fuzzy photos of the front of the hard top on the second page. The flange on the front goes underneath the top of the windscreen frame and has 5 bolts securing it. The rear of the top is fixed along the bulkhead behind the seats with 5 bolts and you can see a bit of that on page 11 of my own thread in Projects. It's possible that the fixings are still in place and have been glassed over but who knows. ....

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:29 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Raymond, thanks very much.

That's very helpful. Is it the holes with the grommets in your photo?

I'll do some investigation, if it's not a major job I'll take it off, but depending on how it's been done, I could end up doing more harm than good. Will have a look for the holes; was worried there would be hidden ones I couldn't see.

Thanks.

Willie

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:58 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I think the grommets you refer to are the black caps covering the screws that secure the inner liner :) The screw holes are the two aluminium captive nuts through the black edging above them. There is one on each corner of the liner next to the door catch pillar (B pillar) and three along the back, two of which you can see. For what it's worth, the car is much stiffer with the hard top fitted and rattles and creaks a lot less :lol:

Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Rossa
I may have some more pictures if you still need them. I had no choice but to bond mine on because the whole of the front lip had been cut off by previous owner but what I remember is there are bolts holding the bottom of the rear to the car which are just bellow the rear window and either side, the front had bolts into the top of the front screen frame. To bond mine on I used body kit glue on all joining areas then bolted the backs in place. The front I glassed the inside nice and thick so I could bolt it in and then I ground a V on the outside join so i could build it up with fibreglass matting before finishing with a skim of body filler. If yours is done in a similar way I would look a pictures to get an idea of the join/seam positions and sand down to see how it is fixed. Be prepare to do some repairs because the gel coat may flake or chip when removing. I did think about fitting a lift out glass sunroof but not too sure if I will yet.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:10 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Raymond & Baxter; thanks ever so much for the help. Really appreciate it. Can see where the holes are so can do some better investigation work. Think it has been pretty well bonded on though, so I might opt to leave alone. Just would've been a lot easier with the roof off, but not the end of the world.

Thanks again, saved me a pile of trouble.

Willie

Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:38 pm
Profile E-mail