It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:45 am

Clutch slave bracket clearance 
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Clutch slave bracket clearance
Attachment:
clutch bracket clearance.jpg
clutch bracket clearance.jpg [ 146.44 KiB | Viewed 2469 times ]

Picture borrowed from peteronline - hope you don't mind peter!

Lovely weather today so took my Spyder out for a decent run to test out the winter upgrades including starting out at the Queens Square meet in Bristol this morning. Really pleased with the car. The improvement in performance is actually better than I'd hoped for. Just one problem and thankfully not a big one. Had me worried for a while though! On hard acceleration I was getting a nasty metal on metal noise. Didn't sound engine related, more like something hitting something else and vibrating together. Lifting the rear clam there was nothing obvious but suspecting my welding on the PG1 bracket I had a close look in that area and was able to see there was some paint removed and shiny metal on the clutch slave mounting bracket. I've ringed the area on the picture from Peter's build above. The MGF bracket has to be cut down to fit but it seems I didn't quite cut enough off (although looking at Peter's I'd cut more off than he had). There is around 6mm of clearance between the bracket and the end of the tube part of the engine frame at rest but under hard acceleration the engine/gearbox must be moving enough to use this gap up so they touch and thus make the noise. To test this theory I put a cable tie around the bracket and went out for a drive and sure enough when I got back there was a dent in the plastic of the cable tie. I hadn't had the nasty noise so I think the cable tie must have prevented metal on metal contact. This won't last though so a bit more grinding will be needed - access not great though.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:32 pm
Profile E-mail