It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:19 pm

71 Heerey GTM racer project 
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post 71 Heerey GTM racer project
Hi All
I have now stared moving forward with my racer project, but first a little background.
I brought the remains of my GTM out of a barn in Nov 2015 and it sat in a container for a year whilst I had my house rebuilt, and also built my workshop at the bottom of the garden.
That is all now complete, I had also ordered a new chassis off Derek at Hambly sports cars as mine was beyond repair. In the intervening months I have collected lots of parts for the car and have looked at improving the design of certain parts of the car.
The first part I have looked at is probably the GTM's biggest Achilles heel, the rear hub bracket. the reverse wishbone idea is a sound one but it is the location and design of the carrier that lets it down.
I decided this would be my first area to concentrate on.
Here is my first attempt at a new carrier, it is dimensionally similar to the original but M8 bosses sit directly behind the 2 holes that hold on the back plates, I have also done a threaded bush at the inside location so the rear is fully adjustable without the use of rose joints (the rose joints in the pictures are there just so it will stand up!), rose joints are not really what I want on a car to be driven on the road as well. Note at this point I have not attached the steel strap across the back of the wishbone bosses.

As I await delivery of my chassis the next thing to look at is the wishbone itself.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:59 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Post Re: 71 Heerey GTM racer project
fellow GTMers

If anybody wants to follow my build I have started a Blog (I know, how modern!)
http://mygtmbuild.blogspot.co.uk/

Wed May 17, 2017 1:27 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

She's coming home!
The chassis I ordered from Derek Hambly is loaded up and ready for delivery.
Just have to clear a space...

Tue May 23, 2017 1:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Nice, bet you can't wait to have it home.

What's your plans to make it race ready?

Tue May 23, 2017 1:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Yes I am indeed excited!
my plan is to first make sure I mount everything nice and solid and straight so I can set it up properly. then I will move on to access holes and any stiffening.
That should keep me busy for a while!
I have 2 subframes at home ready to go so hopefully it will be on its wheels pretty soon, I am also working on the body at the same time.

Tue May 23, 2017 4:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Looks good

Neil

Tue May 23, 2017 7:12 pm
Looking like a GTM

Well the tub has now been delivered by Derek Hambly and is home sitting it my workshop on a palette with castors!

First job is to fit the subframes and check everything with a laser level

I have marked the centreline using the suspension pivot points on each subframe, I then marked the centre of the chassis using the main side pods as a guide. Well I am happy to say that the subframes were only 1 mm out front to rear, so well done Mr Hambly! The front has been adjusted now and stiffening plates will be welded in where the subframe bolts into the towers. I have also added some box section to stiffen up the front end in case of a front end collision. The tank will go behind the the cross member. In case you are wondering the lower steering joint in the picture is off a MGF.

I have now cut the holes for the gearstick and access to the linkage.

This is my gear linkage transfer "box" using 2 IGUS PTFE self lubricating bearings, the linkage will also have 2 UJ's in it. It is basically the same principal as the GTM system, just with a better sliding system, I hope! Now I just have to mock up the engine and box and fix it all in.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Great progress! You handbrake lever looks similar to the one on my Frogeye Sprite which operates on a single cable. I was planning on using a twin cable handbrake lever from an early Mini on mine but yours looks neater. How are you connecting the lever to the cables/backplates?

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Thanks! It is a Midget handbrake lever, I am using Moggy minor cables and plan to make a T bracket to fix the 2 cables into the single lever. As I plan to do competition I didn't want the lever in the usual place.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:15 am
Profile E-mail