It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:55 pm

185/60r13 on the front 
GTM delivered

Post 185/60r13 on the front
Has anyone run 185/60/13's on the front of a Coupe and if so, are there any issues?

Also, have any of you tried any of the sticky 'semi slick' trackday style tyres on your Coupe?

I've been contemplating the Nankang NS-2R's, Toyo R888R's and some Avons - the ZZS or ZZR I believe.

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: 185/60r13 on the front
Guilty!

I have recently tried some Nankang NS2r on the coupe for the blyton track day. They seemed to hold up well to my track antics and seemed consistent as I was building up speed and confidence in them. I do need to give them another go. They seem OK on the road a bit hard on the side wall compared to A539 which makes bumps different some are harsher but the car seems less bouncy and actually works the suspension more. Another thing they have done has made the car more stable and less tramlining as there is a particular bad part of road from work and these feel very different across it. I did take approx 2mm off them at blyton. I did not do a lot of laps.

Fitment wise depends on your wheel offsets, but they are squeeze as they seem to be a wide 185. I have lock stops to stop them touching on the inner arches on the front and had to adjust the rideheight and front nose slightly to get them to sit right and clear the arches. Even now they look a bit big and may benefit from an extended arch as the setup I have ended up at is a little compromised from where I want to be.

Rear they are ever so close to the inner arches on my car and limit what camber/toe/rideheight I can run.

I am considering trying the 175/50/13 on the front but need to have a think as they are a bit too small in diameter.

As a road tyre not too bad. Offer lots of grip even in damp conditions but have not really tried them in lots of water as suspect the aquaplaning resistance is not going to be as good as a normal road tyre.

They are cheap for a track day tyre.

Neil

Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:03 pm
GTM delivered

Thanks for the feedback Neil, you've covered everything I wanted to know :D

I had a feeling rack limiters would be needed. I considered a Sportspack rack for the same reason.
I also considered 175/50/13 but with using the car as a daily through Sheffield, I don't think the roads are good enough here for the lower profile and they just don't fill the arches enough for my taste. I don't really want to lower further as the speed bumps play havoc as it is lol.

Tyres at the mo are a bit of a mismatch - 155/70/13 front and 185/55/13 rear part-worn jobbies bought for beer money.
Would like more grip for chucking the car around unclassified roads in the Peak district near to where I live.

Must admit, they are good value for a trackday tyre.

Wes.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

175/60 front 185/60 rear A539 was what I have always run in the past since going 13. Generally good all round it is a shame tyre choice is a bit limited these days for 13s.

The side wall stiffness difference between A539 and Ao48R or Nankang ns2r is a lot.

In my test which is one Neil placed upon a deflated tyre mounted to a rim with no valve fitted then measuring the vertical deflection saw the side wall stiffness of the A539 to be roughly 4 times softer!

Unfortunately I did not have time to try the same test with air pressure too. perhaps next time.

Neil

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:53 pm
GTM delivered

That's interesting - didn't think there would be that much difference in side wall stiffness. So Yoko's possibly give better ride on potholed road but compromise a bit with handling stability?

Sensible voice is saying go for the 175/185 Yoko option but the evil voice is saying try the sticky rubber :P

Just seen a few pics of your car with the Nankangs in the Blyton thread - what wheel offset do you currently run?
My current wheels are the later Rover/Speedline Sportspack wheels with I believe ET21 or 22.

Wes.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Update.

I run ET18 wheels

The stiffer sidewalls do inspire a bit more confidence as they are more stable. But yes they do let you know about the finer pebbles that the A539 may miss :lol:

Today was the first proper wet, soaking,standing water road experience. Mine are prob near half worn currently. Standing water gets your attention. Certainly some care is needed when standing water is about I managed to brave 60 mph on some parts. If the road is just wet they do offer sensible grip levels.

Neil

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:00 pm