It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:18 pm

Brake pipes 
GTM delivered

Post Brake pipes
I have bought an unfinished 1996 K3 kit, and although I have a build manual I am missing a number of small parts.
Can any one help me with these two queries please?
First brake pipes. I have four identical brackets, each has a D shaped hole in one end which fits over the inner end of the flexible hose, then a 90 degree twist, then one and a half holes in the other end. Can anyone tell me where these fit on to the subframe?
Second the inner wheel arches. I have a bag of nuts, bolts and self tappers labelled inner wings. My build manual says see diagram for fitting the bracket but there is no diagram and I do not have any brackets.
Drawings, photographs or any other information would be gratefully received.
I live in east Kent, is there anyone reasonably near me who owns a K3 that I can go and look at when I get mystified?

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:22 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

GTM: K3
Post Re: Brake pipes
I am also completing an unfinished kit. I have just applied for the IVA - fingers crossed.
The build manual that I have does not appear to be too descriptive in some areas.
The twisted bracket fit on the M8 lower front mounting bolts on the suspension towers with the bracket pointing forward and down at a slight angle. I adjusted mine to get the best clearance for the flexible hoses. I will get you a photo when I can get good access.
The rear wheel arches are fitted with a bracket that fits onto the top bolt of the torque tube and the rear arch is fastened to this with two M6 nuts and bolts. See photo.
Are you aware of the possible change in regulations that are very likely to come in later this year? These could affect Emission limits on older engines.
I live in Derbyshire, so viewing would be difficult.
John

Attachments:
IMG_20180329_071609070_LL.jpg
IMG_20180329_071609070_LL.jpg [ 114.9 KiB | Viewed 5844 times ]
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:36 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Thank you John, I await the picture with interest! I was not aware that emissions rules are changing but as I have the late 16 valve MPI engine I have the most emissions rule friendly engine, so I can only hope for the best. I still have a long way to go before I face that problem anyway.
Peter

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:13 am
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

GTM: K3
I have taken a picture of the brake pipe bracket.
This one is at the rear.
Hope this helps.
My engine is an early 16 valve MPI that does not have a catalyst. Not sure whether it had one when it was new.
It should go through the present IVA with no problems (because it is pre 1995)
but there could be problems if the proposed regulations are brought in.
How far are you with your build?
I am not sure that the build manual is supposed to be in the right build order or not. I did not complete mine in the same order as the manual but that was more about storage and access to the bits.
I completed an unfinished Midas kit last year and the build manual was much better.
Supposedly supplied by the same company.
John

Attachments:
IMG_20180329_090714464.jpg
IMG_20180329_090714464.jpg [ 194.05 KiB | Viewed 5812 times ]
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:17 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Thank you for the picture. My car needs brakes, electrics and trim as well as a number of minor jobs. I am not happy with the way some things have been done and I am pulling much of the finished stuff to pieces to at least clean and check it, and also bring it up to standard for the latest IVA regulations. Despite having had several owners before me there is very little missing and it appears that at some stage somebody stripped two Metros and fortunately labelled all the bits.
My first GTM was a coupe that I restored, followed by finishing another coupe bought as an unfinished kit. I finished that one purely for racing and very soon got fed up with constant failure of expensive A series racing parts, so I pulled the engine out and put a 1600 Honda CRX lump in. That was brilliant - 130BHP, totally bombproof, happily revved to 7500RPM.
I have to remind myself that when the K3 kit was sold there were a lot of people building them as so much more information about, as well as a factory that was only a phone call away if you didn't understand the manual!

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:57 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

reading this post I wonder what the manual looks like and whether it is worth getting a copy. I have a K3 in bits and intended a rebuild using past experiences. I now wonder if there are gems of information which would not be obvious without the manual. I would be interested in your thoughts.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:24 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

It is a typed, loose leaf document. While it is not wonderful there is quite a lot of useful information in it. It would be very easy for a photocopy shop to run it through a copier.
I am happy to do this for you and you pay the cost.
Whereabouts are you?

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:28 pm
Profile E-mail