It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm

No oil pressure again 
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post No oil pressure again
Hmm thought that problem was fixed?? with plugs out cranked the beastie but no oil pressure after about 6 weeks away, removed oil pipe from the block to the oil cooler primed it and turned the engine backwards to wet the pump and we have pressure, tried again after about an hour and lost its prime again!!!****, this was a running engine when last used 20 years ago,
The only good news is I have a painter coming with colour swatches this afternoon so maybe I can start getting the body prepared soon.
John

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:07 am
Profile E-mail
Where is my Number Plate?

Post Re: No oil pressure again
Did you change the oil pump?

It sounds like it’s worn out, and the oil is just draining back
to the box. I’d the pump is badly worn, it can’t draw the oil back up.

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:41 am
On the Road

:( Sadly I think you could be right, not sure how 20years standing wore it out and it shows 40psi cranking on the starter motor, but at least the body work is off, about to go to the painters if he can find RAL 1003 or 1007 paint.
Next weekend wheel the engine crane into position for another 3 step backwards??
John

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:29 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Anybody had experience of Mini Spares Evo pumps, a lot more costly, claimed higher outputs than standard pumps, but less than the turbo pump output, which is about 1/3 the price, I doubt I need extra oil output? so should I go for the standard 1275 pump, which is fitted the last time I put the engine together all those years ago.
Thanks
John

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:52 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Standard pumps are good enough in my opinion. The important thing to do is to Zero tolerance them on a lathe. A lot of the so called "performance parts" are a con, unless you're revving to 8.5k standard 1275 parts won't break.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:47 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Hi Grizzler,
I was regularly using up to 8400 revs in my 1400 bush racer mini back in the day when we had motor sport here in Kano, before putting the engine in my GTM, when you say zero tolerance I'm guessing you reduce clearance between the housing and back plat so the rotor and outer ring of the pump are a very snug fit, not much you could do to alter rotor tip clearance, or a loos O/D of the outer ring in the housing other than replace?
Regards
John

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:04 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Exactly, the gap should be 0. makes a big difference to the performance of the pump. I have also done the mod you suggested way back of using the bosses on the block to route the oil through the filter first. All aids the engine reliability and wear.

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:35 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Cheers Grizzler,
I still have the 1275 pump removed when I built up my 1400 engine, when that is stripped I can compare the 2 pumps out of curiosity, when I build engines I always fitted new pumps, seals, bearing, etc. such a pain in the ass to strip out, wish it was a Xflow ford with the pump on the outside of the block :(
John

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:13 am
Profile E-mail