It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:12 am

Radio and cig lighter socket both dead - Rover Metro fuses 
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Radio and cig lighter socket both dead - Rover Metro fuses
Okay, before I start pulling loads of stuff apart...

Both the radio and the cig lighter/accessory socket on my Spyder have stopped working. As according to the Metro/R100 manual they are both on the same fuse it seemed obvious the fuse has gone. The manual lists fuse 22 as the one that protects these two circuits (and nothing else). I've pulled that fuse and its fine. The fusible link is intact and just to be sure I measured the resistance and it is zero so full continuity across the blades.

It seems far too much of a coincidence that these two items would have stopped working at the same time for any other reason so just wondering if anyone has come across this before and maybe the manual is wrong and its a different fuse? If not I'll start taking things apart and tracing circuits!

Last edited by sanzomat on Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Post Re: Radio and cig lighter socket both dead - Rover Metro fuses
If you have the correct fuse maybe open circuit wire
Meter from 12V on socket directly to neg battery post if reads 12V negative wire to socket is faulty if not go to negative on socket and direct to pos battery post if it reads 12V post feed wire to fuse and socket is faulty
Ian

Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:25 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
So, after taking off the dash top and radio pod and tracing all the relevant wires (couldn't physically trace them as they disappear into a large bundle of taped up loom about an inch thick - note to self, looks like the whole Metro loom has been left pretty much intact so must be loads of unused wires that could be removed!) I found all the relevant wires apparently intact. Earths had full continuity, zero resistance. Supplies intact as far as I could trace them but not connected to 12v. I was back to thinking there must be a fuse gone. No real option but pulling the fuses one at a time and looking for missing fusible link/testing for continuity. Luckily the fourth one I pulled, also a 15A blue one, was clearly blown. Inserted a new one and both radio and cig lighter back working again. This was labelled as fuse 12 on the Metro fuse box and looking at the table in the book this one is radio memory, clock, internal lights and central locking so clearly a permanent live. I don't have any of those things except for the radio and as my cig lighter is permanently live (I use it mostly for trickle charging the battery) I should have guessed this one was the likely candidate. The radio does come on with the ignition though so I guess that it still needs the permanent live connected to wake up.

As to why it blew - I have a tyre inflator that takes power from the cig lighter socket. Supposedly rated at 7.5A but I've had this blow fuses on my daily driver so must draw quite a bit more, maybe intermittently, but enough to blow 15A fuses. I have used this plugged into the GTM but can't recall it stopping working but maybe it blew just as finished inflating...

Anyway. fixed now and the dash actually went on easily this time and lined up with the demister vents.

If you have the same thing check fuse 12!

Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:57 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Great result.

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:14 pm
Profile E-mail