It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:57 am

Smiths Tacho Gauge Wiring 
Ready for SVA

Post Smiths Tacho Gauge Wiring
Has anyone got any wiring information on Smiths Taho Gauges, I've been doing some research into the gauge but I'm still confused, from what I can gather there is 2 different types of gauge RVI (early) RVC (late) (positive earth/negitive earth). I'm trying to wire mine to an electronic ignition (Aldon) and believe you have to have the later RVC model to do so. Can anyone eleborate further. I believe my gauge is from a Trimpth Dolimite??? I think the gauge in mine is the same as the one shown in West's car (see forum topic "Dash")

Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:45 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Smiths Tacho Gauge Wiring
Mines the later type, neg earth, and if it was connected to an A series it would be wired to the negative side of the coil. i think from memory, best grab a mini wiring diagram that would confirm which terminal of the coil to connect the tach too,

WEST

Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:25 am
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
I'm pretty sure its the negative side of the coil, the positive is just a live feed switched by the key :wink:

Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:04 pm
Ready for SVA

Thanks for that, I've just checked mine and it's a RVC type negitive earth so it OK for electronic, I was just a bit worried as mine had the old style terminal points rather than the shown 3 side by side and thats why I thought it was wrong. I have another question to do with wiring, have you got a decent drawing of the indicator setup. I have down loaded numerous ones from the net but I still have problems in getting the dash warning lights to work. The rest of the system works perfectly (hazard/hazard warning lights, indicators) but as soon as I try and connect the indicator warning light from the Triumpth centre cluster to the flasher I get either a solid light or a light that remains on even when the indicator is turned off. I have tried a 3 pin flasher but the 3rd pin had no supply?? Do you think its just a faulty flasher??? The hazard warning light is sperate to the indicator warning lights. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:27 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

You've probably thought of this but are you sure it's not from a 6 cylinder Triumph? If it is it'll read wrong.

I used a Dolomite gauge too but I had it re-conned by Speedy Cables.

If, for any reason, it doesn't read correctly they can re-calibrate it as needed and also adapt it so that it can be triggered from different types of ignition systems.

Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:55 pm
Ready for SVA

Thanks for that, yeah mines a 4 cylinder one so I've wired it up and will see how it goes, I orignially thought mine was the early RVI type not and RVC. Fingers crossed all is OK.

Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:51 pm
Profile E-mail