It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:50 am

the curse of many drips 
GTM delivered

Post the curse of many drips
I left my gtm outside in the rain for the first time the other day, all new door seals (std mini ones), the door frames are pressed hard up against them...and.....

soaking wet seats thanks to a million drips getting past the seals and dripping vertically direct onto the seats :(

im sure ive seen a picture of a gtm with a extra drip rail fitted to help direct the rain away

any ideas?

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:26 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: the curse of many drips

I have some Plastic "J" trip attached above the doors on mine.

Think it was designed to be used on the edge of bathroom type uPVC cladding.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:08 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

You used to be able to buy self adhesive 'stick-on' guttering.

It may be worth doing a search or 2

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:22 pm
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Have you checked your sunroof over? This is a favorite of my coupe. Especially if the sunroof has not been installed caerfully it can catch and pucker up the seal on mine. When mine leaks from here it drips on the seat. Door leaks generally in my experiance make the floor wet as it runs down the door card.

If you sit in your coupe try and look through where the sunroof seal meets the glass as you may see day light mine is usually near the front edge if the seal has not sat correctly during refitting the glass . Also worth checking the seal and glass are 100% clean any dirt or silicone sealant can cause havoc. I give mine a lube with silicone spray which helps the seal slide on the glass on install.

Neil

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:52 pm
Part built GTM

What is supposed to happen to all the water that collects in the window channels? I ended up driving for almost two days in the rian, and seats and floors were both wet.. and hard to see where the water is all coming from.. some was from the door seal on the drivers side.. but the rest, I have no idea?

1966 Mini Van Honda ZC powered

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:14 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

my sunroof is nice and dry, its the lack of a decent gutter that's my curse!

I have seen the stick on stuff (like what was used on the robins), but it would have to stick above the original gutters (like in the photo shown above)

my plan is to make a pair of alloy ones that will fit into the flat bit of the body and curl around the original one

it might work......

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
My old coupe had alloy strips/gutters fitted around the door openings. They were rivited (i think) to the inside of the door apeture rather than on the outside.
From what i remember it didn't leak around there & i used it all year round.

Its now owned by Weasel on here but they can be seen on some of the pics on this thread:
evg-60h-anyone-still-got-it-t2289.html

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:02 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

MiniMike wrote:
What is supposed to happen to all the water that collects in the window channels?

The window channels should have drainage holes at one end (or both ends, i can't remember exactly) & then i seem to remember a small pipe running through the door & out the bottom of the door to let the water out.
Its been 20 years since i had my coupe & 30 years since i had a mini with sliding windows but sure this is how it was!

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

that's how i recall the Mini sliders worked, but there is nothing like that on my GTM.. am I missing something, or was it just not done on the GTMs.. :?:

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:23 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I'm guessing they should be fitted to GTM's, otherwise where does all the water that collects in the channels go.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:52 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

It makes sense, but did not come on mine! Anyone have pics of how this should be done for the GTM windows?

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:57 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Mike for my Windows I did the folllowing drilled holes through the sliders and door. for example the rear sliding glass was drilled at the front and the front at the rear so the windows did not run over my drain holes avoiding ripping the seals/runners.

I also have holes at each end of the runners.

Inside the door I have a plastic sheet taped to guide the water to the bottom where I have drain holes.

the stainless channel is siliconed above the door card to stop it weeping through here and leaking down the inside of the door.

Only time I have problems here is if it really rainds had and I have not checked the drain holes are clear.

Neil

Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:42 am
GTM delivered

Sven wrote:
My old coupe had alloy strips/gutters fitted around the door openings. They were rivited (i think) to the inside of the door apeture rather than on the outside.
From what i remember it didn't leak around there & i used it all year round.

Its now owned by Weasel on here but they can be seen on some of the pics on this thread:
evg-60h-anyone-still-got-it-t2289.html

that's the exact thing I was thinking of, many thanks

Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

OK, so you have 4 drain holes on each channel, and they drip onto the plastic, ending up at the bottom of the door.. my doors do have holes drilled along the bottom, so I'll check and see if there are drain holes drilled along the runners.. without them, as the runners/channels are sloped in towards the car, I suspect that's where some of my water is coming in.. Maybe some brass drain tubes fitted to the door might work as well..a small flare on the top to secure it to the steel mounting plate, and an appropriate hole in the channel and runners.. I was trying not to silicone in the window channels as it makes it a pain to get out later..so will have to think about that part.. thanks for the info..

WEST wrote:
Mike for my Windows I did the folllowing drilled holes through the sliders and door. for example the rear sliding glass was drilled at the front and the front at the rear so the windows did not run over my drain holes avoiding ripping the seals/runners.

I also have holes at each end of the runners.

Inside the door I have a plastic sheet taped to guide the water to the bottom where I have drain holes.

the stainless channel is siliconed above the door card to stop it weeping through here and leaking down the inside of the door.

Only time I have problems here is if it really rainds had and I have not checked the drain holes are clear.

Neil

Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Hi, My coupe was registered in 1990 and has until the last year been used every day summer and winter for commuting and pleasure and also parked outside on the drive all the time. I do not suffer from water leaks. The only water ingress occurrs when I open the door in rain and drips fall in from water collected between the door window frame and the seal. Putting guttering up will never stop this anyway. My coupe is assembled with appropriate drain holes in the window chanels and door bottoms in the same way that West described in his reply. That in my opinion is the way to go. Putting chanels on will only increase the frontal area of the car therefor increase drag and cause slowness, which is the real curse
Malc Jones Coupe member 181

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:24 pm
Profile E-mail