It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:14 am

loads of questions, please be patient with me, solid mounts 
GTM on order

Post loads of questions, please be patient with me, solid mounts
Hi all, I do not have a car yet but have been thinking about getting one for a while.

I have read a fair few posts but can some clarify a few things for me.

I would like to get a road/ track day car. I already have a modified MGF and was thinking of transferring a few bits over.

Engine wise, is there much difference between the 1.4 and the 1.8 k series in terms of pipe work and alike?

Has anyone fitted a T16? I have one sat in the back of the garage that was going to go in the MGF but space is bit tight where the turbo would go without moving the fuel tank and altering the bulkhead.

Are the subframes mounted on rubber mounts like the F, or solids likie the TF?. The solid ones make a lot of difference to the body stiffness on the TF.

The TF also has cross bracing that fits across the front subframe to help stiffness, can these be fitted to the metro subs or not?

Is there any other way of stiffening the chassis?

Has anyone fitted a cage or half cage?

Tf subframes! As the Tf has springs instead of hydolastic spheres, has anyone fitted TF subframes instead of the metro ones?

What's the typical kerb weight of a K3? the MGF is a hefty 1085kg before chopping bits off it.

If it feasable to swap all the bits from either a Tf or F into a K?

Sorry for all the MGF /TF questions, but these are the bits I know really, and the stiffness of the body is the only thing that seems to be a bit of a downside for me really.

Wed May 11, 2011 5:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Post Re: loads of questions, please be patient with me, solid mounts
Hi Jaffacakekilla,

I have had the K3 for about 9 months, it powered by 1.4, I also have MGF which I striping as I intend to use the engine, gearbox and modified suspension in Davrian.

1.4 and 1.8 are almost identical in the way the pipe work connects up, the only differences are the metal pipe into the thermostat and alloy connector off the exhaust side of the engine where heater and radiator pipes fit.

The subframes are mounted with rubber bushes on the K3, I se no reason why your could fit solid, but I not sure what difference it would make. The K3 is not a very solid tub, if you open the door while jacking up on of the wheels you will struggle to close it. This not a problem on the MGF which is a very strong chassis, with excellent torsional rigidity.

As for Roll Cage, yes one fitted by Talon Sport Cars, but they don't seem to have web site any more.

I see no reason why you can't use all the MGF bits on K3, MGF subframes are only modified subframes after all, the TF is next step but again only modified subframes.

THe K3 weighs in at about 650kg with 1.4 installed so it is surprising nippy.

Wed May 11, 2011 10:20 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: K3
Post Re: loads of questions, please be patient with me, solid mounts
Hi Jaffacakekilla,
My K3 is about to go in the garage for a complete stripdown. I will be breaking an MGF beforehand to give me sensible things like wiring loom etc and a spare VVC engine. I intend to make up my own subframes to replace the metro ones so that I can go to coilovers and make adjustable suspension. Still wondering whether to go down the Z-cars route of trailing arm or double wishbone but either way I want to stiffen up the structure. We will see how it goes.

Thu May 12, 2011 12:56 pm
Profile E-mail