It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:48 am

Brake pipe fitting (nut) too short? 
On the Road

Post Brake pipe fitting (nut) too short?
I've been fitting a Goodridge conversion kit to my 4 pots so that they operate with a single line and making up brake pipes to suit using 3/16 unf male fittings. The first pipe that I made and fitted to the flexible hose was fine and the fitting has just over half it's threads showing when screwed in finger tight but the second one screws down to the extent that about half a turn with a spanner will result in it being fully screwed in :? I took them both off again and the female end of one flexible is much deeper than the other which is obviously what's causing the difference. I'm already using long fittings and can't find anything longer - has anybody came across this before and will the half turn or so left be enough to seal the connection?

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:23 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Post Re: Brake pipe fitting (nut) too short?
Hi Raymond , I cant really tell without a picture of your set up , but on a mini one of the front flexible hoses ( Drivers side ) is connected using a banjo bolt and copper washers. Could this be the problem?

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:12 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Hi gorf - you're bang on 8) I phoned Mini Spares today and they said that the deeper thread is because of the banjo bolt fitting. I can't remember this on the Minis I had yonks ago although I seem to remember that the brake light pressure switch was in that position. Anyway, the remedy is to cut a bit off the threaded female end so I removed the 4mm which protruded above the securing nut and it's fine now - I can't say that I've ever taken a hacksaw to a Goodridge hose to make it fit before, though :roll: You live and learn....

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:00 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Glad you got it sorted.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:40 pm
Profile E-mail