It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:41 am

Windscreen fixing? 
Part built GTM

Post Windscreen fixing?
My windscreen rossa mk2 has been bonded in very poorly has anyone bonded one of these in before and whats involved? are there any companies such as autoglass that would come and bond it professionally? are there any seals involved?

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Post Re: Windscreen fixing?
Bonding a screen in isn't that hard if the preparation is good. I will have a look later to see what I bought for bonding in the front, rear and side screens on a Quantum. What I remember is I got the stuff off evilbay and after two years of driving every day and three proper crashes the screens are still in place and don't let in water.
The worst bit of doing the job nicely was painting on the obscuration banding so that it looked professional.
Yes Autoglass will do it for you but at a price.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:59 pm
Part built GTM

GTM: Rossa
lyndiloo wrote:
The worst bit of doing the job nicely was painting on the obscuration banding so that it looked professional.

I'd be interested to know what you use to do the obscuration Band, I need to do one on my Mk1. Is it proprietary product specially for this purpose?

Fiesta Everyday Drive

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Thanks for the info i,ll have a look on ebay :)

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Quote:
Is it proprietary product specially for this purpose?

Yes it is and when done looks factory, again I will post what I used and how later.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:42 pm
Looking like a GTM

Look at this on evilbay 370240015556 I have used this kit to bond in vertical side windows as well as a rear screen on a Quantum. Works a treat the only item I didn't really understand was the body colour bit but in the end what that means is that you clean/primer the inside of the screen with one jar of gear and then paint on to this the second jar (black paint) when dry you can then use the adhesive to bond the screen in place and the end result is a nice black band seen from the outside, this also stops UV rays from destroying the bond supposedly.
I would suggest that one tube should do the trick but it will depend on how messy/accurate you are.

A tip for the banding is to mask up an area with cellotape not masking tape and when the paint has dried you can peel it off and it leaves a nice sharp finish to the banding.

Just an added bit for the primer and paint bit that someone on the Quantum forum suggested and that is to place the screen in position using anything necessary to get it in the final position, then use masking tape on the outside of the screen to cover anything that you don't want to see whan the screen is in place, tape a large area at the corners and then use whatever size paint can, bowl or lid that suits the radii you need to join the vertical to the horizontal, mark it with a fine pencil and then cut with a sharp knife. What you are trying to achieve is a uniform line around the perimeter of the screen. Once done remove the screen and now with cellotape, replicate the masking tape outline (so you should have an edge that matches the masking tape edge but is not covering the masking taped area, if that makes sense) on the inside of the screen. Now remove the masking tape so that when you prime and paint the screen you can see any places that you may have missed. I removed the cellotape when the paint was still tacky,(it does dry very quickly if memory serves) any slghtly dodgey areas can be cleaned up using a sharp knife or reapplying a bit more paint if necessary. I also left the paint to dry for 24 hours before gluing the screens in place, I can't remember if that is what was directed on the tin or I just decided to make 100% sure everything was dry before bonding the screen in place for the final time. One final tip was to warm the tube of adhesive a bit in warm water prior to using as it makes squeezing the gun a lot easier (didn't know about that tip till after the first window was put in )

Nearly forgot when you glue the screen in place make sure you have some small spacers top, bottom and sides as well as on the frame so that when the screen is pushed onto the bonding agent it ends up how you want the screen to look when finished, by that I mean if you don't have the spacers the screen can slide one way or the other or slip downwards whilst curing, (a nightmare on the vertical side screens on the Quantum but duct tape came into it's own on that occassion)

Also remove any excess adhesive as soon as possible as it is a bu&&er when cured to remove.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:27 am
Part built GTM

I must say thats a very thorough post lindy and will probably be a life saver when i come to do it next weekend thankyou very much :)

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:09 am
Profile E-mail