It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 pm

1.8 MGF conversion? 
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Post Re: 1.8 MGF conversion?
Quote:
Having had a word with the laser cutting company an axle set of parts would be £30.00. I can weld them up for you if you wish at no cost, ( takes about ten minutes).

if i do get a mgf and change all the parts i would look into this thanks.
there is a lot of work in doing this i'm trying to find out as much as i can before starting this.

this might get me motivated to start

i have decided as my car has MGF instrument cluster in it with a Metro fuel tank
i'm going to make a fuel tank this would stay in the car when i get round to changing the engine
does the one you made fit behind the fiberglass panel
thanks for your time

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:12 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: K3
it doesn't fit behind the trim panel but I will be boxing it in. It sits on the flat section of the crossmember and matches the slope of the backrest on the seats. It will allow me a shallow tray for bits but where the pump sits higher on the nearside that will be almost flush with the top of the tub moulding.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Quote:
not quite the plain sailing that
one would think at first glance

you are right there is a lot of work in doing this you have done a nice job
when you made the tank did you put any baffles in your tank to stop the petrol sloshing around the tank
do you have any drawings of the tank

Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:11 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Thanks for the comments, I think it's the law to make life awkward for yourself! Yes I did put baffles in, three in total and then realised that the baffle nearest the pump was obstructing the fuel gauge sender arm so had to remove it and put up with two.
I have drawings of the tank and component parts if you want to send me your e-mail address I will send them.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:19 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Hi, Can you re-send me your e-mail address please, I have deleted it with my fat fingers on this b****y phone.
Thanks.
PEEPS

Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:18 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Hi guys, sorry I almost forgot about this website (sacrilege I know). Looks like both of your projects are coming on nicely. I finished mine mechanically a couple of years back and drove it as my daily driver until recently.

I also cut the rear tub and re-glassed it but i have managed to keep the metro tank and mod the fuel sender. I have kept the hydra-gas but modded the lengths for a lower ride height.

Not sure if you mentioned it but what wheels did you two go for? I've got some nice wide 16"s on and the handling is insane.

I will try to stay on here now so if there's anything i can help with feel free to ask!

Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

hi
jazzyjonesy
i have not had much time spare to get on with my car with the children on school holidays.

have i got this right you have the MGF instrument cluster and have made the metro tank work right for the fuel gage.
you said that you managed to keep the metro tank and mod the fuel sender.
Quote:
I also cut the rear tub and re-glassed it but i have managed to keep the metro tank and mod the fuel sender.

if i have read this right how was this done i have this Fuel Gauge Wizard
https://www.spiyda.com/magento/index.php/vehicle-electronics/fuel-gauge-electronics/fuel-gauge-wizard-mk2.html
but it is a bit well it if you stop you no how much is in the tank i think i have the mark 1
thanks for your time
paul

Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:51 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Hi jazzyjonesy
I have got 185/55/14 compomotives on whick fit quite nice. The offset is not as deep as the metro 13s hence they stick out past the body slightly. The only problem in using the MGF rear hubs was that they come mighty close to the inside of the rim, enough to wipe off the balance weights so I had to grind some clearance in. This also means that I can't use the metro wheel as a spare as it won't go over the rear hub. The MGF came with 15 inch wheels but the standard MGF spare is a 14 inch steel so I will fit a new tyre on this as a spare.
Good to hear that you enjoyed yours.
Peeps.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Hi
I have got 185/50/14 on my car.
peeps Was there a reason why you did not use the 15 inch wheel's from the mgf . with 14 inch wheel's you had to grind some clearance did you grind the wheel or the caliper .
Fitting a mgf in a k3 is not simple and you make it look easy
Thanks for your help

Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Hi Paul, basically the K3 came with the 14s on and a friend wanted the MGF wheels for his TR7. The MGF rear hubs are a triangular shape and the tie bar fits to the rear of the triangle. It is this bit that's too close and doesn't quite touch the rim but does touch the balance weights (glue on type) so i ground the square corner off and gave it some room. My only problem now is that the speedo from the MGF will now read fast with the smaller wheels so I can fool myself into thinking that i'm flying when i'm not!

Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:17 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Hi Paul,

I do have the mgf dash pod. What I have done is create a bracket that allows the mgf fuel sender unit, (which is a screw on part, not moulded as I originally assumed!) to fit where the metro one does in the tank. I assume there will be some discrepancy based on tank shape, but I would imagine they are both fairly linear and therefore it will be fairly accurate. Haven't actually tested it yet, should be in the next few days so will let you know!

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

hi
i looked at doing that with a MGF fuel sender unit. but i did not know what i was going to do with the car keep the 1.6 with metro gearbox and clutch or change the hole eingang to a mgf then I didn't think i would get my sender unit out of the metro tank without damaging the tank i did not think i would get it to seal again
i also did not know how to do this.
also would the pump be ok if you put a MGF 1.8 in the car
i made my mind up I was just going to make the tank then put it all back until i got a mgf car (still looking for one ) had to take out the panel which covered the tank for something else.but one thing lead to another and the metro tank come out which was a good thing i did as i made the wood template tank all wrong which. would have been a big mistake if i had got it all done and went to change the tank and found that out
it would be nice to find out if this worked and how you did it
thanks paul

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:24 pm
Profile E-mail