It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:36 pm

coilovers on a Coupe 
GTM delivered

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: coilovers on a Coupe
West - picture smaller :oops:

Anti roll bars - is it worth starting a new thread? This is something I want to experiment with. I have one on the rear of Herman Mini and it does help quite a lot.

I would dearly like to see alternatives to the std GTM top mount. It simply does not look right hanging about in fresh air :!:

Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:32 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I posted this earlier when I was helping Bob with his Libra spring rates You could start a new topic with it if you think it's relevant? Its the way you work out the stiffness of an anti-roll bar..

For a simple solid anti-roll bar of this shape the 3 dimensions shown are all you need to work out its stiffness.

Stiffness = 112822 x (Diameter)4 / Bar length x (Lever length)2

The result will be in lbs per inch so it can be compared directly with the normal suspension springs.

* the diameter of the bar is used to the fourth power (Diameter x Diameter x Diameter x Diameter) in the formula so you have to measure it really accurately. Small errors get magnified a lot.

* the lever length is squared in the formula so small changes in lever length can make a big difference to the stiffness of the bar.

* if you use a tubular bar then you can still use the formula but instead of (Diameter)4 you have to substitute (Outside Diameter)4 - (Inside Diameter)4

The big advantage to an anti-roll bar is that it only works in roll or single wheel deflection. When both wheels are deflected the bar has no effect. This enables you to run softer springs for a more compliant ride without compromising the amount of body roll produced when cornering.

A simple way to make the bar adjustable is to vary the effective lever length by having alternative mounting points for the links which connect the bar to the suspension.

You can't go too extreme as the links need to be roughly at right angles to the bar during operation.
The links can be as long as you like as long as they are rigid. Rubber mounts or flex in the links will obviously reduce the effectiveness of the anti-roll bar.

Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:04 pm
Ready for SVA

Has anyone got photos of rollbars on coupes, I have been toying with the idea for a while, both front and rear if please.

Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Here are a few pics of my coilovers setup, still a work in progress though

Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:14 pm
Profile E-mail