It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:56 pm

Libra rear brakes 
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Post Libra rear brakes
Thinking of fitting mgf rear brake calipiers to my Libra is this upgrade from the standard fit rear calipiers worth doing or will it up set the brake balance of the car which is running the bigger rover 200 front brakes.
Thanks Matty

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:31 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Post Re: Libra rear brakes
Hi Matty
The Rover 400 rear calipers have a 30mm piston approximately and the MGF are 38mm they are on my car.
This will effectively increase the brake bias to the rear.
The original Rover disc size used was 252mm and the increased to the 260 mm of the MGF discs will have little effective improvement in rear braking effort.
If my information is correct the Rover metro front discs that were used at the rear had to be machined down to 10mm thickness to fit the 400 rear calipers on earlier Libra cars which is unnecessary with the MGF set up.

I am not sure if the upgrade to MGF rear discs and calipers will have any benefit.
I would like to hear if any other member who may have similarly done this conversion and their results?
I have MG Trophy 305mm front discs and AP calipers and the MGF at the rear.
This setup works fine as far as balance however recently I have changed the front pads to a softer material with higher coefficient compared to the standard rear pads to archive a bit more bite at the front for road use.

I am assuming the pad material on the OEM MG cars were identical front to back. Can some other member confirm this for me ?

REGARDS PiltV40

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:10 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I have got a complete mgf rear brake set up and have tried to fit them.
Has anyone changed the rover 400 calipers to mgf one,pics of a libra with mgf rear calipers would be helpful.
I can not see how I can fit the mgf calipers to the front metro hubs used on the rear of the Libra or even make the handbrake work.
Please can someone help. :(
Thanks Matty

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

hello matty
the link you put on for us to the build manual still works without password as i just tried it this may give some help if you have not already looked at it.From memory i don't think you are to far from Newark where we will be for our monthly meet on tuesday Don who organizes it should be there in his libra with mgf rear brakes fitted i am sure he would be willing to open up the back to let you have a look and there are ussually four other gtm owners to give advice five heads are better than one hope to see you there.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Thanks for that Mark, thought I had printed myself a copy of that manual off but could not find it, it does seem to have a section on how to fit the mgf calipers :D .I am not in a huge rush as the person I purchased the two mgf calipers off has sent me two from the same side. :(
Matty

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:11 pm
Profile E-mail