It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:12 am

Metro drive flanges and 8.4" non-vented discs 
GTM delivered

Post Metro drive flanges and 8.4" non-vented discs
Query about how inter-changeable are mini and metro disc & drive flanges. I'm about order a pair of 8.4" non-vented discs to use with the Golf rear calipers I recently got for my coupe. I've already got a pair of Metro 8.4" vented discs with metro drive flanges in the garage.

Question does anyone know whether the metro drive flanges can be used with mini 8.4" non-vented (solid) discs?

Thanks

Huw

PS I'm aware the metro drive flanges have wheel centralising lugs which will need removing reducing.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:35 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post Re: Metro drive flanges and 8.4" non-vented discs
The Mini and Metro drive flanges are interchangeable on the CV joints and the Mini and Metro discs (vented or non-vented) are interchangeable on either drive flange.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:37 pm
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
one thing to watch is the metro drive flange is narrower and will bring a 8.4 disc away from the upright I believe. remeber reading something about mixing mini driveflanges with metro vented discs having the oposite effect as this is a more common direction with the mini boys/gals.

Neil

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:02 pm
Ready for SVA

I used Metro flanges (from Minispares) on the rear of my coupe with MGF calipers and I didn't have to machine the width of the lugs like others seem to have done -- just elongate the holes. I don't think the Minispares flanges have the wheel centering lugs.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Thanks for the help eveyone. I'll let you know how I get on.

Huw

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

I've got Metro flanges and Mini 8.4 solid discs on the rear of mine with MGF calipers. I could have got away without any machining of the caliper mounting lugs but that would have left the calipers bolting to a raw cast face so I took them into the machine-shop at work and got them to "lick" them with the milling machine to give me a flat face.

Iain

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Iain,
Agreed bolting to the cast face isn't the best practice but as I don't have access to a milling machine I thought I'd give it a go. If there are any vibrations due to misalignment I'll have to dismantle the hubs and see if there's anyone local who can do the work.
How did you sort out your cables? Im trying to work something out that uses the Mini handbrake lever.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Steve Im sure you can find someone to give the lugs a skim, to give a flat surface. I did my first uprights in a drill press and some jiggery pokery, verniers and file to measure and keep right, but the last set I did in a mill so much easier and alot nicer finish.

The calmping force of the bracket against the lugs will help reduce stress on the bolts in shear too.

Neil

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:17 pm
Part built GTM

ibrooks wrote:
I've got Metro flanges and Mini 8.4 solid discs on the rear of mine with MGF calipers.

Was toying with this idea myself but couldn't summon up the courage (funds!) to purchase a couple of calipers and then find they would take too much to convert.. So the bolt holes are in alignment between the hub casting and the caliper? Do they bolt up the same i.e. threaded side the same for both applications?

MGF Mk2 VVC
Jaguar X-Type (regular use tin-top).
Aston Martin V8 Vantage or DB9, I'm not fussy! (one day, maybe..)
Merc Axor (company 'car').

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:17 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

I'm not the first on here to have done it. The bolts go through the hubs and into threads in the calipers. The holes in the hubs are drilled out to 10mm from 3/8ths (9.5mm ish). Then a round file was used to "pull" them a fraction on the outside edges to line up with the holes in the calipers. Finally the lugs need to be 12mm thick to line the centre of the caliper up with the disc - this isn't critical as they are a sliding caliper anyway so they will self compensate for a few mm either way. The amount you'll need to remove will vary from casting to casting but in my case it was barely a millimetre.

I'm using a standard Mini twin cable handbrake.

I made up a pair of hoses with the Mini bulkhead fitting on one end to go through the subframe and an M10 banjo fitting on the other end to fit the calipers.

I used the original handbrake cables from the GTM (which I've since identified tentatively as Morris Minor items). I shortened the outer sheaths and put the MGF ends on the caliper end and I re-fitted theclevis fittings on the cables. Nothing dramatic or difficult involved.

I did buy an MGF handbrake lever and a pair of cables when I got the calipers but as it turned out I didn't need them - the lever advantage of the handbrake is the same as the Mini item and when my calipers arrived (different supplier) they had the end few inches of the cables still attached so I could rob the fittings I needed from them instead of butchering a good pair of cables.

Iain

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:26 pm
Profile E-mail