It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:49 pm

Front alignment 
Looking like a GTM

Post Front alignment
Finally got to do something to the K3, as the rear end had an accident a few years ago I decided a few mods were in order when rebuilding and to this effect I have now bonded the roof to the tub and have fitted MGF wheels.
Obviously the wheel stick out further and so I have cut the rear arches and re-attached them to cover what will be the new tyres, however I am now just about to start on the front and before I set to cutting things around I have noticed that the near side front wheel is slightly inboard of the body tub and that the off side front wheel is slightly sticking out past the tub. Note the main body tub not the front clam bodywork.
I never noticed this before but was wondering if infact this is from manufacture or due to issues either from the last accident or from any previous owners accidents (don't know if it had any other accidents but don't know the cars full history so you never know).
Could anyone have a quick look at their cars and let me know as I would rather set the front end "correct" before works commence, if it is standard then not a problem I will alter the wheel arches to suit the alignment.
Cheers.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:41 am
Part built GTM

Post Re: Front alignment
Hi, I will check and confirm tonight, but I am pretty sure that all the wheels are perfect alinement front to back.
Although I have 13" rims at present, I have got some 15" wheels from MGF that fit at the back without protruding pass the standard arches and should fit at the front with 175 tyres. while fitting these I noted the alinement.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
I had a K3 and seem to remember that at the front one of the front wheels stuck out further.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Thanks for the replies. I think it is just a body issue and hopefully one from manufacture. The alignment seems fine, just would be good to find out now rather than when I have done more works to it.
As for the fitting of the MGF wheels and not needing extensions to the bodywork, all I can say is either you have different off set wheels or your bodywork is wider than mine as I have had to extend the rear arches by more than an inch each side. I'm just about to start on the front end, which is off the car at the moment, so the first thing is to get the front mounted back on and then see where the wheels/tyres sit and see if the front needs the same treatment as the rears. Will be using 195 50 15 rubber on the back (could go slightly wider but I have the tyres from another project so will use them) and 195 45 15 tyres up front (again because I have them already).

Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:44 pm
Part built GTM

GTM: K3
My K3 has 14 inch wheels with 175 tyres on the rear with 30 offset and are just covered with the standard clam however the fronts stuck out 35mm each side. Upon measuring I found the front clam to be 70mm narrower than the rear. I have since put standard metro 13inch on the front but will be having some 14 in made to the correct offset.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:20 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

My original wheels were 13" metro ones and they were fine with respect to been covered by the arches, however there was a big gap between the top of the tyres and the bottom of the wheel arch so decided due to having to rebuild the rear clam, that I would go bigger on the wheels to try to make it look more in proportion. The front clam is now basically in place and I will need to cut and extend the wheel arches as the tyres stick out big time.
As for my alignment issue it is not more than 5mm and I think it was looking worse due to the car not on flat ground at the time, however it definately is over towards the drivers side.
I have also noticed that the nearside wheel arch fouls when the wheel is turned on right hand lock, on further investigation the front of the near side arch is not as radius'd as the off side (which clears on lock) and is fairly straight for the last 6-8 inches. This will be taken care of when I widen the arches.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:17 pm