It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
New coupe owner 
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: New coupe owner
ibrooks wrote:
kano nordie wrote:
Hi starmag if you look on the early Cox with Mini tank posting a couple of slots below this post you will see my old cox tank and it had a duct fabricated into the bonnet which alowed the spare wheel to stand infront of the tank :wink:
John

Problem is that unless it's an early Cox with the dip in the front bulkhead or you are prepared to modify it as much as yours then most of that space isn't available to put a fuel tank in.

That's why I chose to put the old style Cox Vee into the later coupe chassis :D
John

Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Hi guys, i thought i'd put my newbie questions in here rather than start a load of individual topics

I've made some progress on the garage and I've got it damp proofed, painted the walls and floors and even managed to acquire some carpet from work to keep me warm when lying on the floor :P
Started stripping down the coupe of the unwanted parts and slowly getting new parts and modifying/dry building

Whats the standard practice for modifying the frame for when fitting a turbo? i need the extra room and i still want to retain the strength but i don't want it to end up being a lot heavier, there seems to be lots of turbo coupes around but no engine bay pictures anywhere... this is the only picture i can find:

What 13" wheel combinations can i safely run? i noticed with the previous wheels fitted (minilite style) that they caught on the inner wing/bulkhead. I have a new set which are running 175/60/13 tyres 13x6 with an ET24 and these catch too, is the only answer different offset wheels? wheel spacers? vented discs? steering rack limiter?

whats the best way to removing the windscreen without damaging it?

what thickness steel is used in the sills?

the tunnel access panels and engine access panel, can i replace with aluminum? carbon fibre? and not compromise the rigidity?

Apologies if all these questions have been answered before but i cant seem to find the answers,

Thank you in advance, James

Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:28 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Hi James, I can't help with turbo installation or wheels touching, as my engine is on a 45 Webber and my coupe is sitting on a wheeled pallet rather than its wheels which are far away at the moment :lol:
My access holes had the covers missing so I made aluminum covers fitted with Camlock style 1/4 turn fasteners on the tunnel and button head screws on the rear cover, they are just covers so any material will do, there are some photo's posted of my build under Kano Coupe
Cheers
John

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:59 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Quote:
Whats the standard practice for modifying the frame for when fitting a turbo? i need the extra room and i still want to retain the strength but i don't want it to end up being a lot heavier, there seems to be lots of turbo coupes around but no engine bay pictures anywhere... this is the only picture i can find:

Booom one possible way

Quote:
What 13" wheel combinations can i safely run? i noticed with the previous wheels fitted (minilite style) that they caught on the inner wing/bulkhead. I have a new set which are running 175/60/13 tyres 13x6 with an ET24 and these catch too, is the only answer different offset wheels? wheel spacers? vented discs? steering rack limiter?

I run 13 by 6 and the same size tire on the front my offset is +18 I wanted +24 but was not available in the wheel design at the time. yes on full lock mine just catches the inner arch on the right hand side, left hand is fine, Rack limiter is the best option. Wheel offset is a compromise of geometry, scrub radius etc and clearance. Personally geometry is more important so I would increase clearance via other methods i.e rack limiter.

Quote:
whats the best way to removing the windscreen without damaging it?

Great care two men and patience

Quote:
what thickness steel is used in the sills?

16swg 1.6mm from memory I did have notes but cannot find them currently. All the rear space frame is 18 swg.

Neil

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:21 pm
On the Road

Similar to West

These are Turbo installs

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Both windscreens are out, managed to do it on my own, and it's still in one piece!
I'll look it into the steering rack limiters, I know the sportspack minis have limiters built in so that might be worth looking into.
What wheel nuts are you using on your compomotive West? I've got some for mine but they are an old design (compomotive ms) but I imagine the wheel nuts used are the same?

It's good to know that the access covers can be made out of anything, I'll make something nice and lightweight! I'll check out you build John for sure, quick release, easy access.

Thank you for the turbo pics and the info John, West & Ken it has given me some ideas.
Expect some more questions in the near future :lol:

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:06 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

if you want to limit the rack, just take the rack bar out and mig a line of weld into the last tooth at each end.

that's all rover did on the mpi racks........

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:44 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
guru_1071 wrote:
if you want to limit the rack, just take the rack bar out and mig a line of weld into the last tooth at each end.

that's all rover did on the mpi racks........

Or just put jubilee clips on the rack bar under the gaiter - bit of a bodge but very simple and works...

Last edited by sanzomat on Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:19 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Starmag wrote:
What wheel nuts are you using on your compomotive West? I've got some for mine but they are an old design (compomotive ms) but I imagine the wheel nuts used are the same?.......

My wheel nuts are 60 degree /taper seat.

Neil

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:28 pm
GTM delivered

sanzomat wrote:
Or just put jubilee clips on the rack bar under the gaiter - bit of a bodge but very simple and works...

the only reason I didn't suggest that method was a customer who did that crashed his car after the jubilee clip went a little slack and got stuck a bit further in on the rack

which was a bit of a surprise to him :lol:

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:05 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Oops! All advice given is used at your own risk! I've not done the Jubilee clip trick myself but plenty in the Bristol Kit Car Club have on their various 7 types. I'll pass on the warning!

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I've made a start on modding the rear frame for the turbo, I'm using a different exhaust manifold to the standard metro turbo one so I don't need a massive amount of room so I can keep the partition between the boot and engine area.

Next query, making the rear crossmember removable for removing the engine out the top....

I was going to cut the box section and leaving a stub at either end, then sleeve the middle piece with some U shaped steel and then bolt through to the stubs. Does that make sense? Seemed like the best and neatest solution, what have others done?

the battery mounting right angle steel,can this be removed completey? Is it needed?

James

Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

No turning back now...

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Well thought i'd update this, making slow progress but progress neverless! My 1st go at welding/bodywork so go easy on me!

One of the previous owners cut a hole in the passenger sill for some reason.... which as you can see was full to the brim with water

Drained the water out and started playing around with some bits
I found some compomotive MS wheels local at a bargain price
F1 style mirrors
Lotus elise bonnet vent (ebay bargain) my 1st bit of fiberglassing, went pretty well, still needs fully sanding down and blending in, but i'm trying to leave any glassing/filling as long as possible to let it fully cure.
Lotus elise seats, I'm quite tall and it's the only way i'll fit in it without hitting my head on the roof! 

Took the body off, somehow found a way of storing it all in the single garage... luckily the Grandparents had the garage roof converted to a pitched roof many years ago

Time for some bracing and to see whats lurking inside the sills...

This was supposed to be the good sill, the one which wasn't full of water! 

A spit was cobbled together by myself which i was pretty proud of, added some more bracing and sent off to get it sandblasted

This is what I  came back with, the panels are very heavily pitted, it's hard to show in the pictures

Got some replacement panels from Derek/Steve (cheers Derek/Steve!)... jumping straight in the deep end with my first bit of welding/panel replacement...

floor:

half a floor:

Panels painted with rust proof paint and weld thru primer

Knocked the sill stiffeners up myself :)

Inside of the sills painted

Last edited by Starmag on Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Top effort straight into the deep end!

Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:26 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next