It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:35 am

Just Got Myself A 1995 1.4 Twin Cam K3 
Part built GTM

GTM: Rossa
Post Just Got Myself A 1995 1.4 Twin Cam K3
I’ve recently joined after lurking forever, as I purchased a K3 yesterday.

The car has been sitting for more than 4 years and it is my intention to recommission and use, as we don’t have the time nor inclination for a full resto.

First impressions were an eye opener, as the body has faded, as I expected; however, poking and prodding reveal that we need a new front subframe due to corrosion as a start, with all new braking and suspension bushes throughout next.

We had a few hours yesterday removing all of the accessory lighting and associated wiring, to allow a full system check on the electrics and the only thing not working is the rear fog lights, which is pleasing.

We’ve also stripped the interior to clean all of the carpets and install soundproofing at a later date and to also make the aforementioned electrical inspections easier. All interior parts are in great condition and will come up like new with a deep clean, whilst the standard Metro seats will be replaced by a nice set of Rover 200 GTi seats that I have :mrgreen:

So in short, the plan of attack is;

* Buy new/replacement Metro front subframe, or if that’s impossible, a front subframe from a MGF/MGTF, refurbish and fit.
* Strip rear subframe, clean and paint.
* Renew all brake components front and rear.
* Upgrade all suspension bushes with the Polybush variety.
* Refurbish all four wheels and fit new 185/55R13 tyres, if a good quality brand can be sources alternatively, 155/65R13 Kuhmo’s will have to do to maintain the rolling radius.
* Full engine service, cam belt change and cylinder head gasket upgrade.
* Refurbish the Sierra XR4 front fog lights, as they are full of water.
* Refit the fully valeted interior.
* Reinstall the hard tops sagging headlining and refurbish the soft top.

Saying it all like that makes it sound simple..........

Anyway, here is some photos.

J.

Last edited by jaybee on Thu May 10, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:40 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Post Re: Just Got Myself A 1995 1.4 Twin Cam K3
Did a wee bit more today, seeing as the weather was half decent for late October.

Got the front end taken apart to fully ascertain the condition of the front subframe and my fears were justified as after attacking with a scraper, wire brush and pointy tool, I found one rather unpatchable hole and other areas that will fail soon enough :cry:

Anyhow, we have managed to get a complete, rolling MGF front subframe that should make a bit easier to get fit and safe for an MOT and will get that late next week.

I’ve just read the thread on here about fitting coil overs and the adaptor plates that PEEPs has and that’s got me thinking about doing that, instead of trying to refurbish the shocking looking hydragas spheres.

The footy is on, so I’m away for a well earned beer and a chill, so enjoy the photos that I have uploaded this afternoon.

J.

Last edited by jaybee on Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Hi Jaybee,
Those pics of the subframe do look rather rusty :!: - Although the rest looks reasonably tidy.
A nice little project for you.
Try some Farecla cutting compound & polish on the faded bodywork. Its made for fibreglass & depending how bad yours is, may well bring it back to life. :D

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:37 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Cheers Sven.

My mate is a detailing freak and I am sure I can persuade him to give the body a good going over to make it look a bit better than it is.

I have had the engine running and it’s a bit lumpy, but I put that down to poor fuel, as the contents of the tank are at least 4 years old; however, the exhaust is blowing like a trumpet and was wondering if anyone has used a full MGF exhaust on a K3.

When I get my MGF front subframe, is there anything that I need to do to fit it to the tub such as remove brackets or add anything?

J.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:38 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Well, the new to me MGF subframe arrived this afternoon and what a beauty it’s is.....

It’s in better condition than I could have expected and has all of the essential bits fitted, except for the hydragas spheres, so hopefully fitting it should be pretty straightforward once I have attacked a couple of brackets with the angle grinder - all good but..........

I started to try undo all the necessary bolts on the existing subframe, after 5 days soaking in WD40 and guess what, the bstrds are seized solid, so those will be getting the grinder treatment too, but it means that I will need to get new hydragas spheres, brake hose brackets, new nuts & bolts throughout and get refurbished calipers due to the state of them with rust :( :( :(

I also got the Rover 220 GTi seats out of storage and after trying them for size, found that they sit too high for me and will need to live with the standard Metro seats for the time being - bugger!!!!

One question for K3 owners, can someone please upload photos of their front under bonnet area to show battery and washer bottle locations, as I would hopefully want to free up some vital space in the tub?

J.

Last edited by jaybee on Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:40 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

GTM: K3
Hi, I'm in pretty much the same spot here, so maybe we can be of help to each other. I'll send you some pics of the underbonnet of mine as it is pretty much intact and neat. Any pics of your exhaust system ?? I have nothing from the manifold onward. Gear rods look like they will foul the downpipe I got on ebay (MG F). I have a link on ebay for foglamps and indicators....£16 and £25. Not genuine Sierra fogs but perfect copies. Good luck with your build.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Dave

I have added a couple of photos of the set up I have, which is not how it was when the car was originally built. The down pipe is a standard Metro 1.4 item with a generic flexi attached and then onto an unknown back box/silencer.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ar2tD43upTMfji_OUxehQC6OUi4C

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that SAAB parts were used onto the standard down pipe, but could not find what model or any other details.

Can you post the link for the lights please?

J.

Last edited by jaybee on Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Well, another productive but extremely frustrating day on the K3.

I got an early start and got the front subframe to a point of removal and due to an airlock in the hydragas sysem, ended up covered in green goo and the drive resembled a snot fest, then I finally managed to manhandle the rusting hulk free; however, I have ended up with the following list of bits needed;

* New hydragas spheres due to corrossion
* Potentially new interconnecting pipework for the spheres, again due to corrossion
* Replacement radiator and hoses, as the @rse fell out of when I removed it
* A new grinder, my 'new' one died after removing brackets from the MGF subframe
* Various nuts and bolts, that I didn't envisage needing

Anyhow, after nine hours of frustration and the help of my best mate, the MGF subrame is now in, bolted up where I had replacement bolts and the front clam placed over to stop the neighbour tutting - The old subframe is strategically hidden under the motorhome :lol: :lol:

I never want to do one of those again..........................

The beer is a calling my name :D :D :D

J.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:51 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

J, thanks for that. Engine # is missing so I cannot determine which engine I have, 1.4, 1.6 or 1.8. Has your car got gear rods or cables ? Link for fogs; Ford Sierra Classic Rally Style 12v Halogen Fog Lamps Spot Lights Pair
( 362077345137 )
Indicators; Ford Sierra Cosworth XR4i GHIA Orange Front Indicators Repeaters Set Left Right
( 112047099538 )
I'm due to put a few hours in 2moro and hopefully know a bit more. Pics will not load, bear with me. Dave

Attachments:
$_14(2).JPG
$_14(2).JPG [ 1.95 KiB | Viewed 13536 times ]
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Davederave wrote:
J, thanks for that. Engine # is missing so I cannot determine which engine I have, 1.4, 1.6 or 1.8. Has your car got gear rods or cables ? Link for fogs; Ford Sierra Classic Rally Style 12v Halogen Fog Lamps Spot Lights Pair
( 362077345137 )
Indicators; Ford Sierra Cosworth XR4i GHIA Orange Front Indicators Repeaters Set Left Right
( 112047099538 )
I'm due to put a few hours in 2moro and hopefully know a bit more. Pics will not load, bear with me. Dave

I’ve got rods, as the Metro gearshift was used/modified and it seems to work well; though the clutch pedal is a tad stiff and that maybe down to the long cable - I may look at fitting a hydraulic set up once I manage to get it roadworthy

J.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:19 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Davederave wrote:
Hi, I'm in pretty much the same spot here, so maybe we can be of help to each other. I'll send you some pics of the underbonnet of mine as it is pretty much intact and neat. Any pics of your exhaust system ?? I have nothing from the manifold onward. Gear rods look like they will foul the downpipe I got on ebay (MG F). I have a link on ebay for foglamps and indicators....£16 and £25. Not genuine Sierra fogs but perfect copies. Good luck with your build.

Dave.

This may be the exhaust for the K3 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAAB-900-1986-1993-2-0i-B201i-GENUINE-SAAB-REAR-SILENCER-5466164-/182161101663?_trksid=p2349526.m2548.l4275

J.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:34 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Code:
  One question for K3 owners, can someone please upload photos of their front under bonnet area to show battery and washer bottle locations, as I would hopefully want to free up some vital space in the tub?     

Last edited by catsam on Mon May 07, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Paul.

Many thanks, that’s perfect - the Metro washer bottle is fitted inside the boot tub, taking up so much space and where yours is is just ideal.

I am looking at fitting a small gel battery in the space between the brake servo and heater fan area, to free up more room under the bonnet tub.for all the tools and Toffee that I’ll probably need every time I go out in it :lol:

J.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:27 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

STUPID QUESTION TIME

The windscreen on the K3 has been poorly fitted, resulting in water ingress due to the bonding process failing and what I want to know is.......

Can I install a Citroen C15 windscreen with a rubber seal rather than trying to bond again?

Thanks

J.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:36 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Thank you J. I think thats the correct exhaust. I can see clearly how it would fit. The flexi section you mention is also present on the downpipe I have plus another couple of bends and straight joiners. Mecanno lessons 2moro !!

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Profile E-mail