It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Just Got Myself A 1995 1.4 Twin Cam K3 
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Just Got Myself A 1995 1.4 Twin Cam K3
We have just rebounded the rear screen in my sons K3 using this 1hour bond..... took ages to clean and prep the screen, but following the instructions fitting was quite easy and to date all previous problems of water ingress have gone. For the cost well worth the try I'd have thought.
http://www.waysideadhesives.com/Masterb ... 7_prod.php
Hope you enjoy the K3

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:23 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Hello J,
The windscreen can only be bonded in. It adds strength to the structure. The white appearing in the corner of the screen I think is due to the edge of the laminated screen pressing against the frame when being driven. This then turns white. I had to have a screen replaced and they would not warranty it because there was insufficient space around the glass. I improved the clearance with a small grinder before they fitted the screen. It was better but not perfect. Good luck. Howard

Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: Rossa
Howard

Many thanks, that’s very helpful.

I’ve been away campering in in Balloch & Luss since Thursday and when I got back late morning, a wee present awaited me and in my excitement ran outside in my Sunday best and proceeded to trial fit the MGF calipers to the K3.

They fitted first time and I was having concerns about clearance with the standard 13” wheels, but should not have worried about that, so I now have vented front brakes for much cheapness - I hope the MGF rear calipers that I’ve ordered are as easy to fit, as the standard GTM handbrake set up is useless as I found when I bought the car :lol:

All the other parts needed to get the front end back together and finished are ordered - hydragas spheres, brake hoses, various bolts and not forgetting the new Metro radiator that didn’t think that I would need, as I was going to fit a MGF one; however, it seemed to much modification to the front frame to make it work at this time.

Has anyone fitted MGF mk2 front seats into a K3 and if so, were they an easy job? I wish I could get the Rover GTI ones I’ve got modified to fit, but it’s not an easy task by the looks of it :cry:

http://www.metropower.org.uk/media/howtoguides/coupeseats/coupeseats.pdf.pdf

J.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Well, another day working on the K3 and it’s two steps forward and one back.

Got more work done on finishing off fitting the front subframe, installed 2 hydragas spheres, most of the brake components were removed, checked over & refitted, checked over all electrical connections and went over the the water system only to find that the hoses are all shot and surprise, surprise, I cannot find part numbers for replacement of the ones at the radiator.

In addition to that, I tried for about two hours to refit the front clam, only to find that even more brackets need to be removed from the MGF subframe, so most of today’s endeavours will need to be undone then redone after the grinder has done its stuff :roll:

I also managed to get agood look at the back end and it looks like I’ll be replacing the subframe there too - more work that it didn’t want, need or expect.

Tomorrow, hopefully will be a better day.

J.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Well, today is worse than yesterday.

After fitting all of the hydro gas spheres and associated but, it seems that I am missing 2 no spacers and springs that I obviously didn’t get with the spheres, nor were they present when I stripped the old ones, so I’ve had to order them and next weekend will be groundhog day for me.

I’ve had a closer look at the rear subframe and it should be ok after a pressure wash to get me through the MOT and after that, I’ll go down the route of a full MG TF rear end to do away with the full hydragas system and give better hub location due to the addition of proper trailing arms; however, i still need to figure out how to fit the MGF rear calipers to the Metro hubs - has anyone done this?

I’ve given up for the day, as I am totally hacked off!!!

J.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

hi
Quote:
i still need to figure out how to fit the MGF rear calipers to the Metro hubs - has anyone done this?

this has been done
have you seen

mgf-rear-calipers-t2160.html

handbrake-t104.html

Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:22 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Paul

Many thanks, that’s a great help and it’s not as difficult as I had envisaged; though I’ll have to reverse the calipers as the Metro ones are fitted ahead of the hubs whilst the MGF ones are fitted aft.

J.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:43 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

here is some photos of my MGF rear calipers on my car

Image Image

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Well, today was rather productive, given that the weather was all over the place.

I managed to strip the front hydragas spheres and fit the spacers and springs that I didn’t know were needed, which didn’t take me as long as I envisaged. As a result, it gave me time to have a go at fitting the MGF rear calipers and carriers a smart after opening up the existing mounting holes in the hubs, managed to get everything bolted up; however, the bracket for the handbrake cable is mighty close to the subframe, so I’ll have to do a wee search on here to see if there is a simple solution.

The heavens opened and due to not being able to go outside, I sat in the garage with one of the Rover GTi seats and a Metro Seats and stripped both to see if they would be interchangable and, yes they are - the drivers seat is now both better looking and far more comfortable :D

Once the rain stopped, I managed to get a good look at all hoses that pass through the cabin, as there is very little interior left and I think that I will renew all water ones just to be on the safe side.

Finally, I got the front clam bolted onto the new subframe and adjusted for a good fit, then played about fitting the new headlights, so I’m quite pleased with my efforts today.

J.

Last edited by jaybee on Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Good stuff, jaybee.
Some days seem like 1 step forward and 2 steps backward...
But others, when all goes better than expected, give a huge positive boost to get the project finished.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

catsam wrote:
here is some photos of my MGF rear calipers on my car

Image Image

Paul.

Great photos, thanks and can you advise what handbrake cables you used on your conversion, as the GTM ones are way too long?

Thanks

John.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:41 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

hi sorry i did not do the conversion on my k3 but i think the standard mgf cables was used
advantage998 did the conversion and i found this from him on here
Quote:
I used the Libra cables as they are forsale new on ebay for a good price.

and i also found this from DavrianMad

Quote:
just fitted MGF rears complete with cables it was tight but fitted OK, using the standard MGF cables

Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:03 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Well, after a few weeks of doing nothing, I’ve still done nothing; however, I have received the front and rear MGTF subrames yesterday and they are sitting at the rear of the drive looking sorry for themselves due to the minus 10 degrees temperatures :shock:

Normal service should resume, once the thaw begins and I’ll get them titivated up to look pretty and then I’ll fit them as soon as I can.

The one concern I have is that the rear trailing arms on the MGTF set up may need substantial cutting of the central tub to make it fit and if that’s the case, I’ll bastardise the MGF set up to make it all fit.

J.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

All.

I have been having issues getting photos to view on posts here and I thought it was due to OneDrive not having the facility to do so and I have now changed everything to Flickr but still have the same issue.

I am using the Img tags at either end of the link as I have always done elsewhere, but it still wil not work; therefore, can anyone advise?

John.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:16 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Hi im using
https://postimages.cc
I just copy and paste the link

Last edited by catsam on Mon May 07, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:42 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next