It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Just Got Myself A 1995 1.4 Twin Cam K3 
Part built GTM

GTM: Rossa
Post Re: Just Got Myself A 1995 1.4 Twin Cam K3
Happy New Year to you all.

Weeks have passed and I’ve done nothing due to ever increasing work commitments, other thank put the newly received MGTF subframes in the garage and buy a set of NOS MGTF 15” alloy wheels with factory fresh Continental tyres in the hope they would work on the K3 and sadly they don’t :cry:

Here the pics of the wheels and of 2 fitted - the rears are spot on, but the fronts stick out beyond the arch line more than I expected and there is fouling of the front leading edge of the clamshell, so I think I’ll have to sell them on at some point, as I don’t fancy modifying the front arches.

As an aside, I’ve found someone relatively local, who will hire me his hydragas pump to get the suspension blown up, so the green fluid has been ordered and with a bit of luck, may have the car on its wheels by the middle of the month, them after that finish the brakes.

J.

Last edited by jaybee on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:39 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Shiny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[url=https://postimg.org/image/jzl83nbab/]Image

Shot-blasted, galvanised and then powder-coated.

J.

Last edited by jaybee on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Like the sub-fame a lot, looks great. I am in Erskine and have a car in bits just now.
Who did you use for the shot blasting and galvanising?
What sort of cost was involved?
I have been thinking of doing the same to my sub frames but never have time to source where to get it done.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:19 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

techead wrote:
Like the sub-fame a lot, looks great. I am in Erskine and have a car in bits just now.
Who did you use for the shot blasting and galvanising?
What sort of cost was involved?
I have been thinking of doing the same to my sub frames but never have time to source where to get it done.

Highland Galvanisers in Cumbernauld and costs were as follows;

* Shotblasting of frame, anti roll bar, anti roll bar mounts and rear subframe mounts - £46.96 plus VAT
* Hot dip galvanising of frame, anti roll bar, anti roll bar mounts and rear subframe mounts - £12.30 plus VAT
* Powdercoating over galv of frame, anti roll bar, anti roll bar mounts and rear subframe mounts - £75.00 plus VAT

All in, it was £161.11 and I was happy with that, as i genuinely thought it would have been over £200.00, but if you go just for blasting & galvanising, it would be around £72.00.

The quality is great and my challenge now is to get the suspension bits to a standard that is equal to the subframe :shock: :roll: :cry:

J.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:20 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Looks a lot nicer than when it left me! :mrgreen:

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

sanzomat wrote:
Looks a lot nicer than when it left me! :mrgreen:

Lots of elbow grease and sweat :lol:

Hopefully next weekend, I will have the front end ready to be fully fitted, as I’ve ended up buying just about everything bar the springs and dampers brand new, as it would be been a shame to put crappy looking bits onto the shiny subframe.

The springs and dampers will be looked at when I get the whole front and rear ends done and the car on its wheels again, to allow me to get the right height and ratings, because I have no doubt it will sit too high and too stiff on standard MGTF items.

At the moment, I am dreading the back end, as I have no idea if it will fit, with the trailing arm mounts and rear tie bars to contend with, which could ultimately impede on the body tub and also the rear clam frame.

J.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Lots of rebuilding subframes in the garage in between major bouts of sciatica and back spasms :cry: , with not a lot to show in recent weeks; however, to cheer me up I bit the bullet and got new tyres (165/45 R15) for my MGTF wheels and fitted the front set - Really nice, if I do say so myself and not much protrusion beyond the arch line whilst it’s on axle stands.

The front subframe is nearly together, with brand new hubs, bottom arms, existing top arms, steering rack and existing damper assemblies, as I don’t know what heights and ratings I need yet, plus a load of poly bushes which I never ever want to fit again - what a complete nightmare to do on the bottom arms.

I await new discs, track rod ends and brake hoses, before I can fit it to the tub, so hopefully fitness prevailing, I’ll have that done next week.

J.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Well, the weather was kind today, work had quietened down and I was bored, so took the opportunity to remove the MGF subframe on the front and fit the nearly finished MGTF one in its place.

After much swearing, sweat and frustration because I had no helpers, I’ve ended up with this;

The last photos with the front clamshell fitted shows the car on its weight and highlights how much lower I need to go using lowered, down rated springs that will fit to the MGTF front end.

J.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:30 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
nice work did you have to change much to get it to fit and are you going to change the engine sub frame to

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Paul.

I had to cut off the towing eyes at the outer ends on the front part, where the mounts to the MGTF body are, cut part of the two brackets inboard of these to make a ledge, as the front clam frame sits nicely on this and the two upper brackets where the original TF box covers fitted it slots where the Metro one would using all the K3 standard parts.

At the rear of the front frame, there are two brackets for the body mounts which had to be removed too and the amendments took me about half an hour in total.

The two photos below show the areas that need to be removed or fettled.

With regards to the rear, I will be using the TF subframe, but am not sure as yet if I can use the hubs, trailing arms etc, as I have not checked for clearance at the tub, where the compliance bushes fit and if they don’t, I’ll use MGF bottom arms, hubs etc as I have these at hand to replicate what GTM did to make the Metro bits fit. Again, some brackets will need to be cut off, but the basics will fit where they are needed and by the looks of it, the rear clam carrier bolts up to existing holes in the TF frame.

As a short term solution, I may fit the rear brackets I got from Peeps and use coil overs to get the car back on the road, whilst building the TF rear frame at my leisure.

J

Last edited by jaybee on Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:43 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Another fine day yesterday and that allowed me to go out for 10hours to fiddle with the K3.

I fully bolted the subframe in, fitted all brakes parts, reconnected all wiring (but have an earthing issue due to a broken earth tag), fitted the new radiator, trial fitted the inner wheel arch liners and fitted the front clam and spent more than 2 hours trying to remove and refit the steering column, as I could not get the splines engaged when fitting the subframe.

Oh, has anyone got a spare nearside & offside wheel arch liners, as mine have been butchered terribly?

After getting the electrics reconnected and finding the earth fault that affects the lights on the near side, I fitted the battery and attempted to start her up - she spluttered into life after the second attempt and I was a happy boy :D

Other wee jobs done, were fitting smoked rear lights, trial fitting a MGF air box assembly, as the K&N I have is a tad noisy for me at the moment and started to remove the hydragas pipes that run front to rear, but coldness and darkness won!

On the front end, things to do are;

* Make new brake pipes, as the existing are corroded - does anyone know the sizes of the end threads?
* Figure our what hoses I need to connect the radiator to the coolant pipes - I have modified the GTM design and am using standard Metro top hose & link tube, as it has the expansion pipe connection) which should make bleeding easier.
* Find an earth tag, as they are now obsolete.
* Repair the Sierra fog lights and fit.
* Make new fixings to securely fit the front indicators.

And maybe get some arch extenders as the wheels still protrude beyond the arch line, even with 165/45R15 tyres fitted :evil:

J.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:57 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Before;

After;

J.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Today was a wet one, so spent it in the garage stripping the MGTF rear subframe in readiness for modifying, shot blasting and powder coating.

One issue I am having is that I want to fit the whole TF set up but cannot get under the K3 to see if the compliance mounts for the trailing arms clear the tub when the subframe is mounted; therefore, has anyone done this mod without cutting the tub, or give me pointers how to get it all in without fibreglass surgery?

J.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Well, things are not looking good.

After a few hours of thinking, looking and prodding, I have came to the conclusion that the TF frame with the standard MG suspension with trailing arms WILL NOT fit a K3 for one simple fact that I overlooked..............

To fit the TF frame, you have to cut the front end body mount bracket off, to utilise the holes equivalent to the Metro set up and when you fit the 2 hole front mounts into the ‘new’ holes, the bracket fouls the trailing arm compliance bush :oops: :evil: :twisted:

How the feck did I miss that when stripping it?

Soooooooo, I don’t need to worry about tub clearance, because it just won’t work!!!!

Back to the drawing board, as the options now are;

* Use the existing, manky Metro frame with individualised hydragas spheres and keep the sh!tty GTM handbrake
* as above, but use PEEPS, fantastic coil over mount brackets
* Use the MGF front subframe that I have with individualised hydragas spheres and keep the sh!tty GTM handbrake
* Use the TF frame, but with MGF front hubs, arms etc and keep the sh!tty GTM handbrake
* Buy a MGF rear subframe and use with individualised hydragas spheres, keeping hubs, etc as I really want a proper handbrake

My brain hurts, I’m pi$$ed off royally and fell like scrapping the bloody thing :cry:

J.

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
hi i would go with
Quote:
* Buy a MGF rear subframe and use with individualised hydragas spheres, keeping hubs, etc as I really want a proper handbrake

you can then get of the shelf coil over parts and have a proper handbrake

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:34 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next