It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:16 pm

K series... 
On the Road

Post K series...
As i understand the 1.6 uses a different box to the 1.8... so therefore different gear linkage etc.

Is it possible to use the 1.6 box on a 1.8 vvc?

I am going to be upgrading the engine from what my car has come with but i dont particularly want to have to go through the ordeal of making new linkages or orderering the 1.8 linkages off gtm (westfield). They take ages and barely ever are any use nor do they ever get back to me. Its looking like if i want to get this done before im 80 and in nappies i need to find out my own answers and parts etc because they dont have a clue and even when they do they arent particularly outgoing or forthcoming with any help.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Post Re: K series...
Yes you can use a 1.4 or 1.6 box on a 1.8 engine. The person to speak to about all the ins and outs of this change is Dudley Shearman at Tallon Sportscars, he is the expert.
Although the 1.4 box is not quite as strong as the 1.8 and the top speed is slightly reduced you will find that it takes off like a scalded cat.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:10 pm
Ready for SVA

GTM: Spyder
Hi,
As Don says you can & quite a few have, probably for the reasons you've stated :shock: . The only thing I've heard is the starter motor isn't realy upto it but I understand the start off the automatic will fit and it beefier?
Juls

Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

You can upgrade fairly easily and cheaply to 1.8 inc the VVC. The larger engines use the PG1 box rather than the R65 (i think that's the right code?) but quite a few people have put the 1.8 on the R65. The ratios in the R65 are closer and the box lighter. People also say the gearchange is also better. Both originally used rattle rods for the gearchange. GTM now do a MGF based cable system. I and a few others have adapted the Elise change which works amazingly well.

The starter on the R65 is a bit weak for the larger engine but there is a better one available (.8kw rather than .7kw) from one of the 200 series Rovers.

Other than that and a bit of wiring, simple!

Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:47 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

GTM: Libra
Have you got anymore info on the 8kw motor?

Had an owner phone me yesterday, he's had his second starter motor fail in 3 years with an R65/1.8. Only does 4-5k a year as well.

Bob S

Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:20 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
I would be intrested to know how you modified the elise gearchange, is this the same as a MGF change?

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:15 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Will i have any clutch, flywheel issues etc using the 1.6 box??
Also is it up to the job strength wise?

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:02 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Matty H wrote:
I would be intrested to know how you modified the elise gearchange, is this the same as a MGF change?

The elise change is quite different and much more precise.

I fitted mine on top of the tunnel, a couple of others have stuffed it in the tunnel.

If youput it on top the lever is at a great height but too far back with standard cables. In the tunnel you can bend the lever forward to get it in the correct position at the regular height.

The mods I made apart from having longer cables made by Ringspan were to straighten the lever and had to mount one cable on the side of the mech as outer sleave on the cable was a little short.

It is fully rose jointed and works like a rifle bolt.

I will be at Stoneleigh if anyone wants to have a look.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:43 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

yazza54 wrote:
Will i have any clutch, flywheel issues etc using the 1.6 box??
Also is it up to the job strength wise?

I don't think there are. Just use the flywheel, clutch etc off the R65.

Duds is probably the best person to talk to at Talon. They have put the 1.8 engine and R65 box together many times in the bonkers Metro's

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:51 pm
Profile E-mail
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
I dug the 2 flywheels out that i got left with, the original 1.4Gti (circa 1990) is smaller in diameter and has a 36-2 trigger pattern, the 1.8 one has totally different trigger pattern with 4 gaps in total and i seem to remember that was too big to fit the old g/box and starter setup anyway so they had to find one with the right trigger pattern and the smaller diameter. The clutch that was fitted in the first instance slipped but that was'nt in the best of nick (it was the original Gti one :() so they fitted a Black Diamond replacement which sorted things. I can't be sure but the engine may have been a 135 version, if so then the PG1 i have may well have a cr gearset :) As i said in another post the sticky label is missing, is there another way to tell :?:

I'm pretty sure Talon can fill in the gaps and put you on the right road:D

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:51 pm
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
the other Tim wrote:
, is there another way to tell :?:

You know what im going to say

Stick it in gear and get counting, you should be able to get ball park ratios from that. even easier if you know for sure at least one ratio, i.e is there a standard first no matter what the other ratios are? or know the diff ratio, have had to do this a couple of times myself on unkown boxes

WEST

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:47 pm