It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:04 am

Rossa Wheels Choice 
GTM on order

Post Rossa Wheels Choice
Hi my Rossa came with two sets of wheels and i am trying to weigh up the pros and cons of each set before selling one set:
These are 13x5.5 with Yokos 185s iirc
These are 13x8 with Dunlop 195 45s

Now my GTM tech manual says wheel offset is critical but does not mention what bad effect there will be. Does anybody know of any bad negative effect of keeping the wider wheels on the car.
All I suspect so far is:
Minilights...... Less wheel bearing wear, cheaper tyres, lighter steering, less grip?
Alleycats...... Higher wheel bearing wear, heavier unsprung weight, more grip, expensive tyres, police hassle as they stick out a bit too far, heavier steering.

My head says stick with the Minilights but I like the look of the Alleycats so does anybody have experience of these wheel sizes?

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:30 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Post Re: Rossa Wheels Choice
No experience with either but I like the Minilites best, just my opinion. I'm fitting 15" MGF wheels and tyres to my K3 so would be interested in what people have to say about handling etc. Oh and yes I am flaring the arches to cover the tyres up.
As an aside the police wont bother you unless it is raining, one or two of my friends drive fenderless hot rods and are fully legal, they have to have a means of covering up the tyres if they get caught out in the rain as the powers that be don't like water spray.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:21 am
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Your head is probably right! I'm short of time at the minute but it's all down to the tyre contact patch, a line drawn through the swivels and the wheel offset.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:23 am
Part built GTM

GTM: Cox/Coupe
While the allycats might work well for extreme competition, they stick well out past the arches and thus illegal for both road and competition use.
For the road the 5.5 "Minlites" not only look better probably are so.. I have 6" wheel on mine but they were custom made offset/inset for the original builder, and even they are only marginal on legality.

Last edited by SportsLibre on Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:22 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Sorry to hijack the thread but where did the black guttering come from - seems to be self adheisuve plastic and I can't find it anywhere (asked two years running at a number of stands at Stoneleigh).

Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:26 pm