It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:09 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next
Paul's k3 
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Post Re: Paul's k3
I have decided to put a small 4-way fuse box at the back to supply the 2 x 30amp feeds and the 1 x 15amp you need for the mems3 memory

fuse 3 and 4 was one fuse on the mgf but joined in the wiring loom confused me for some time the joint was right at the point I was going to put the fuse box so I separated the two

I will have to change the fuse rating for the fuse
3 and 4

fuse 1 is for the starter relay
fuse 2 is for engine control module ( memory )
fuse 3 is for inertia switch then fuel pump relay
fuse 4 is for the engine control module relay

this fuse box gets a 12v permanent supply from the main battery cable which goes to the starter motor

Last edited by catsam on Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:53 am, edited 7 times in total.

Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:20 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Sorry, I'm going to do it again. With all the electrical 'stuff' on the front of the rear 'boot' you might need to make a cover of some sort as on My old K3 water entered via the grill on the back clam shell and there are no prizes for guessing just where it all ended up. Hence the cover that was fabricated and put over the ECU :? (and as a side effect if You opened the rear clam with any water on it from memory that end up in the boot and on it's contents)

Hope that makes sense as a long sentence with no punctuation :(

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:40 pm
On the Road

The way I find fault You'd think there was a prize :)

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:44 pm
GTM delivered

No harm in finding fault, if it guides others to an easier life. I had all sorts of wet troubles with my late K3, until I "dealt" with them. I got fed up with removing the ecu in order to rest it on a radiator for a couple of days to dry out, even though I had a spare one, programmed identically, so I was never without the car. I mounted the cut-off switch inside the car, where I could reach it in the event of a pot-hole or ramp triggering it. It still worked fine when I hit a tree in avoiding a stupid kid on a bike, though most of the rest of the car was u/s.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Thanks for your advice

Quote:
No harm in finding fault, if it guides others to an easier life.

That is just what I was thinking

All the help I can get is a good help
I think for now I will see how well it works there I would like to try and get it back on the road for the summer
But I will move the inertia cut-off switch

Last edited by catsam on Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:17 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

:D :D :D :D :D

I have got my tank all done I hope I have made it correct thanks for the plan peter.
There were two problems, why you need a new tank the clutch slave cylinder on the PG1 bracket and also the cylinder head water outlet hoses.
hits the main tub so peter made another fuel tank to fit behind the seats he cut out quite a bit to clear the engine which rendered the fuel tank space compromised.
I hope I have made it the same shape as the one peter made for his car

Last edited by catsam on Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: K3
Yep, that looks good to me.
I am still messing with the bear claw bracket for the clam releases, slight angular changes but it will be sorted soon.
I will get it to Stoneleigh this year if I have to carry it on my back.!

Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:03 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

still doing the wiring I have put two relays with fuse holders in the front of the car this seemed to be a good place for two relays and fuses
as the battery and fans are in the front and I can connect the high power side of the relays directly to the battery

I'm going to have two fans in my car

One relay is for the radiator fan which is controlled by the mems3 ecu. ( the blue-gray wire ) which runs from the back of the car
from the mgf loom and runs fan number one

fan number two will run from the metro temp sensor which is in the radiator you can just see it in the photo this has no relay just as it was in the metro

and relay number two is for the fan that the mgf has in the engine I had to run a wire back to the engine bay as the fan is in the back with the engine I do not have a fan in my engine bay but I will have all the wires in the car if I want to add one.
the fan will come on if the engine bay gets too hot this is controlled with an engine bay temp sensor

Last edited by catsam on Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:57 am, edited 13 times in total.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:43 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Are you going to put a 1/2 manual over ride switches just in case?

The owner isn't

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:33 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
With all those fans going you'll have a hovercraft!

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I have two fans on the MGF radiator, one operated by the ecu and the other one was originally for the air con so this one will be on its own switch as a back up. Having said that I have failed to get the car anywhere near hot enough to getting the fan to come on yet even after running in the garage for 45 minutes. I hope it stays that way!
Peter.
By the way Paul my petrol tank filler is just below the height of the petrol cap so it does run down slightly but not by much.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:52 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I think I will put a manual override switch in just in cases we have a sunny day and it gets hot

Quote:
By the way Paul my petrol tank filler is just below the height of the petrol cap so it does run down slightly but not by much.

Thanks, peter
I think it just needs some adjustments I will have some time at the weekend

Last edited by catsam on Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:59 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I have started to put my new petrol tank in the car

I seem to be taking more of my car apart than putting it back together it looks like I have got the engine and subframe back on the main tub but it is just sitting on some axle stands
I still need to cut the main tub :lol:
Quote:
Attachments: as peter has done
download/file.php?id=1536

Last edited by catsam on Fri May 08, 2020 3:16 am, edited 5 times in total.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:25 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Just look what happens when you put a car in a garage, its just tempting fate, nice warm dry garage, next thing you know the car is in bits.

If you had left it outside, all the cold wet miserable weather would of kept you well away from the car, and it would still be in one piece. :)

Great work, is the tub cut for the tank or the clutch, how many gallons can you get in the tank??

Love the pics

The owner isn't

Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

by my calculations the tank should hold just shy of ten gallons. I hate having to fill up every five minutes!!
Peter.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next