It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:04 am

Engine conversions 
GTM on order

Post Engine conversions
What engines have been fitted to the coupe?

I know of : Vauxhall 2ltr, Rover K series, Honda Vtech.

Anything else?

I'm redesigning my chassis / suspension (again!) and am starting to think seriously about what power unit to squeeze in.
The chassis will be a stainless (304 probably) monocoque, about 65kg all in and have a sloping bulkhead, so freeing up space. The rear end will be Chapman strut and lower wishbone, to maximise space available and make it suitable for rallying.
I'd like to try a V6, but haven't measured up yet!
Anyone know which small / light engines might go?

Ian

Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:20 pm
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
There was also a Lancia Engine Coupe back in the 80s, which reminds me i must contact the owner for a nose at it. Also heard rumours of a bike powered coupe

I would suggest seing what the mini boys have put in minis Honda both VTEC and Non, Rover k, Red Top, Suzuki and Some are investigating Toyota 4age, there are merits and draw backs obviously of each from parts, cost, tunning, size etc.

There was a mini fitted with a Vauxhall V6, thats quite a compact V6 but still did need the front extending like most minis, my thoughts are a light weight 4 pot is better suited due to weight balance etc, but still a V6 would be interesting alternative if you can find a light compact unit.

Why not do a Diesel one,,,,I have considered it would be rather different intersting to say the least

WEST.

Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:51 pm
GTM delivered

A friend of mine who race prepares Lotus Europas has recently built one up using the engine/rear end from a Smart Brabus Roadster.

This could be a top mating for the Coupe, my girlfriend has a Brabus and it is like a modern day GTM. Makes you giggle at 30mph as you hear the waste gate whistling away. Fuel consumption would be negligible (the Smart gets over 50mpg and its a heavier car), and performance better than most A series cars.

The other advantage is all the electric gizmos, you could keep the paddle change gearbox, cruise control, ABS etc if you wanted.

I'll be sticking with my VTEC conversion for now, but perhaps in the future...

Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:06 pm
GTM on order

thanks for the ideas: I managed to find a site about that V6 mini. It is handling balance that worries me, hence the interest in the all alloy Rover KV6 engine: about 150kg all in, not alot more than the A series, I believe.

It's power, torque and noise that I find attractive in a V6.

The GTM can handle really well, but don't want to spoil that with poor wieght distribution.

PS Thanks for the newsletter editting, West. I may even write something soon!

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:48 pm
On the Road

How about the V8 made from 2 bike engines ?

That screams along in a Radical.

Malcolm.

Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:59 pm
On the Road

Has anyone contemplated the Mazda MX3 1.8 V6?

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:40 pm
The Terrible Tims

Yes, its quite a wide angle v and quite big for its capacity, externally i think its the same dimensions as the 2.0 and 2.3. I believe the 2.4 Audi is close angle, also the Vr6, heavy lumps though :!:

Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:28 pm
GTM on order

Is there room for a turbo down the back of the a-series without modifying the body? In particular the mirage motorsport manifolds that are designed to fit in the back of a mini engine bay without modification. [/url]

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:51 pm
The Terrible Tims

I've seen them fitted with modified rear frames, but I'm not sure if it would fit without moving the rear bar of the tub back. It certainly makes it easier.

I'm fitting a turbo to mine, but I've already modified the frame to take almost any engine!

A mirage is probably going to be your best bet. Have a word with the guys on http://www.turbominis.com . They should have some idea of the measurements and should be able to give you a good idea of the space needed.

Your problem could be how far you can tilt the engine forward, as this is one of the things done to clear the bulkhead in the mini conversion.

"Is est totus perfectus per fumi quod speculum"

Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:15 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

To add there is no real problem fitting a Metro turbo lump in a Coupe as tim says above it can be usuefull to move the cross member back a little to aid clearance especially if using a something a bigger snail. the only other thing to consider is the metro plenumn chamber as that will stick through the engine cover so will need trimming modding to suit.

West

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:01 pm
GTM on order

i'm using a different plenum, but in total, the carb, manifold, plenum etc goes back 10" from the manifold face of the head. Also is there anywhere with good airflow near the engine to mount an intercooler? I have an engine mostly built but have no car to put it in, as my mini died an untimely death a few months ago!

Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:34 pm
The Terrible Tims

The best way is to try and force the air through an intercooler by either making a scoop for underneath the car, or by by making some intakes on either side of the engine bay.

Because of the negative pressure above the boot lid, it isn't a good place to try and take any air from.

An option worth thinking of, is you can mount as intercooler where the mini radiator normally is mounted. Obviously with a fan fitted to the engine, and probably a cowling from the fan to the intercooler.

I'm tempted with running this on my car, but I'm going to get mine on the road, before I start upping the boost enough to need an intercooler.

It may be worth considering using a charge cooler, if you can't find a way to get enough cold air into the engine bay.

Hope this all helps

"Is est totus perfectus per fumi quod speculum"

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:10 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM on order

thanks this is all very helpful. I believe the smart car uses a fan on it's intercooler.

this is a pic of the mirage setup on my engine (if the pic works!)

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:21 pm
On the Road

Post Re: Engine conversions
I thought i'd resurrect this thread.

Anyone got any more different ideas on what could be fitted to the rear of a Coupe - or a Rossa for that matter.

I'm looking for around 140 hp sensibly - with a good chunk of torque.

I'd love a Honda H22 but I know that's not going to happen.

Anyone know anything about the none turbo Toyota units in the old Celicas? Or are they just a 4age?

Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:38 am
Ready for SVA

Post Re: Engine conversions
I was contemplating the Toyota Glanza/Starlet Turbo engine if I was going to modenise my A series setup, they are small, light and have plenty of race proven aftermarket bits you can bolt on or upgrade to.

Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:20 pm
Profile E-mail