It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 am

K3 Geometry? 
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Libra
Post K3 Geometry?
Whilst in the process of swapping engines I've come across a few ball joints and so on that will need replacing, I'm still at the back end right now so this question is mostly relevant to the Metro suspension on the rear frame.

By switching and swapping ball joints, steering arms and trackrod ends I can add or subtract castor, given the rear doesn't (shouldn't) steer is there any value to running any castor at all on the back end?

On the subject of geometry, are the rears supposed to be toed parallel or with a degree of toe in?

Many thanks in advance.

Rich

Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: K3
Post Re: K3 Geometry?
Hi Rich,
As castor is more for a degree of feel and self centring I wouldn't think there is any benefit on the rears, as for the amount of toe you need about a degree of toe in as you have drive on the back, remember you have a bottom wishbone on rubber pivots so on hard braking your wheels will try to pivot and toe out giving a weavy rear (ooh err).
On the MGF it was replaced by an adjustable tie rod allowing more room to fiddle.
Peter.

Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:17 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Thank you for the reply Peter, I've been reading around the subject and come up with the same information so once I've identified which steering arms I have I'll just buy the ball joints to match. I think I've got the GTi version on the back (as per the donor). When I get round to the front I'll probably look harder at replicating the MGF geometry.

Rich

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Just carrying on from this topic, I need to fit new lower ball joints and I'm trying to identify the arms fitted to the rear hubs. Mine have the numbers RUG10008 and RUG10009, are these standard Metro or GTi? I understand they are different...

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:59 pm
Profile E-mail