It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:20 pm

Hi spec performance brakes 
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
Post Hi spec performance brakes
spoilt myself last week by buying new front yellow 6 pot hi spec calipers and 320mm discs 28mm thick, apparently they reckon it will fit in my 16" rim. Should find out in a week or two if I get time to fit them.

I am also in discussions with hi spec for upgrades to the rear with the same size 320mm vented discs but with 4 pot yellow calipers. The only thing is if I wait till stoneleigh they are releasing the electric hand brake calipers version, does anyone have any experience with electric hand brakes? It will also make the hand brake redundant and replace to a simple button apparently.

Spin up the Rotrex

GTM Libra Honda 2.0l rotrex type r
BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:15 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post Re: Hi spec performance brakes
Ooo that sounds interesting, I'll have to check that out if their going to be at Stoneleigh.

I haven't any experience of aftermarket electric handbrakes but I've had modern road cars with them and they work perfectly so expect the Hi-Spec one will to.....no more handbrake turns though :lol: Be nice to dump the cables etc as well, bit of weight saving.

Have you got a bias pedal box or a rear pressure limiter? It sounds as if those rears would need to be dialled back just a bit to balance the braking out. Otherwise you'll have to be very careful not to lock the rears when trail braking into the corners or the wet. Once that happens a visit to the local landscape is inevitable :shock: (I speak from bitter experience) You know all this already though. What rear brakes are you currently running?

Would love to see some pictures when you get the kit. I expect a brake upgrade will be the first thing I do after my car's been on the road for a while, its running std metro gti / rover 220 kit at the moment with EBC discs and pads - probably adequate at best as I really like strong brakes in a car.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:19 am
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
No experience of aftermarket electric handbrakes but have had a few modern tin tops with them. Audi A6 system (2007) was Toffee - often failed to release leaving you looking like a twat when you try to pull away on a hill. Volvo V70 version (2009) was good, always worked reliably but the switch was in a daft place (under the dash on the right hand side of the steering wheel). Had hill start assist so never used it other than parking though so okay. Mondeo Version (2012) was fine too, no problems at all. The only one I did anything with was the V70 - had to use an electronic backing off tool to release it to change the pads then re-set it. Bought one off ebay, worked a treat and made a profit selling it again!

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:15 am
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

A friend of mine has rather large Hispecs on his V6 Spyder

325/30 with Bells & Rotors. Billet 4 Calipers

300/22 bells & Rotors. SVA Billet 4 Calipers

He seems to think it stops quite well! :lol:

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:04 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

roger wrote:

I'll bet! I expect his windscreen has a sweaty mark where his forehead is constantly twatting it :lol:

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:02 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

Jaykart1227 wrote:
Ooo that sounds interesting, I'll have to check that out if their going to be at Stoneleigh.

I haven't any experience of aftermarket electric handbrakes but I've had modern road cars with them and they work perfectly so expect the Hi-Spec one will to.....no more handbrake turns though :lol: Be nice to dump the cables etc as well, bit of weight saving.

Have you got a bias pedal box or a rear pressure limiter? It sounds as if those rears would need to be dialled back just a bit to balance the braking out. Otherwise you'll have to be very careful not to lock the rears when trail braking into the corners or the wet. Once that happens a visit to the local landscape is inevitable :shock: (I speak from bitter experience) You know all this already though. What rear brakes are you currently running?

Would love to see some pictures when you get the kit. I expect a brake upgrade will be the first thing I do after my car's been on the road for a while, its running std metro gti / rover 220 kit at the moment with EBC discs and pads - probably adequate at best as I really like strong brakes in a car.

Lol, luckily with the power I have a handbrake turn is pointless any ways but good to check for the bias valve as I have no idea what's on there already or if anything is on there at all.
When they arrive I'll drop some pics on here

Spin up the Rotrex

BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:47 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

sanzomat wrote:
No experience of aftermarket electric handbrakes but have had a few modern tin tops with them. Audi A6 system (2007) was Toffee - often failed to release leaving you looking like a twat when you try to pull away on a hill. Volvo V70 version (2009) was good, always worked reliably but the switch was in a daft place (under the dash on the right hand side of the steering wheel). Had hill start assist so never used it other than parking though so okay. Mondeo Version (2012) was fine too, no problems at all. The only one I did anything with was the V70 - had to use an electronic backing off tool to release it to change the pads then re-set it. Bought one off ebay, worked a treat and made a profit selling it again!

Knowing me I'd probably put a switch if I go for it somewhere before the gear lever.

Spin up the Rotrex

BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

roger wrote:
A friend of mine has rather large Hispecs on his V6 Spyder

325/30 with Bells & Rotors. Billet 4 Calipers

300/22 bells & Rotors. SVA Billet 4 Calipers

I'd be shocked if he'd had any brake fade ever :lol:

Spin up the Rotrex

BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I think I'll wait till stoneleigh to see what hi spec can do, but knowing me I'll probably buy the electric system with a 300mm to 320mm rear vented disc and 4 pots

Spin up the Rotrex

BMW 440d M Sport x drive
BMW 320d M Sport

Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:52 pm
Profile E-mail