It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:01 pm

coilover brackets 
Part built GTM

GTM: K3
Post Re: coilover brackets
It is mighty close but it only just contacts the bottom of the damper so I have given it some clearance.
Peter.
Attachment:
roll bar clearance.JPG
roll bar clearance.JPG [ 34.78 KiB | Viewed 12390 times ]

Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I'll have to mock it up to see, but I have a feeling that I have slightly less space than you to start with (unless there is some adjustment in the ARB mounts - not able to tell without trying) and that my AVO shocks are slightly bigger compounding the issue.

Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Got the brackets fitted yesterday and been for a gentle drive, it was massively underdamped to start (4 clicks on all corners) but the spring rates feel like they could be about right and the handling was better after upping the damping to 6 front and rear. I haven't sorted the corner weights yet, that's a job for wednesday, but have a suspicion with the current length springs I'm going to struggle to get the desired ride height for navigating speed bumps.

I'm going to have a play next week so updates to follow...

Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:03 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
hi
oliver do you have any photos of your set up im looking at doing this at some piont

Quote:
After buying the shocks and all the parts required to fit them, I finally got round to fully checking each corner for clashes today! (I had given a quick glace over it before)
Front appears to be fine with minor modifications to heater blower and a minor movement of the washer bottle

did you have any problems with clearance in the end

regards paul

Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I've had to ditch the rear ARB as there was no chance is was going to fit without a modification and a slight rethink on the mounting and I need the car driveable at the moment. I reckon with a bit of thinking it may fit but it's going to be very close and likely need new mounting brackets - that is assuming I feel the car needs it!

I'll get some photos on wednesday but I've had to cut the front inner arches a bit, also increase the hole size in the heater blower, I'm looking at replacing it with a smaller unit as the current one is now pretty cut up.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Spent an hour looking over the geometry today as it didn't feel or look right to me, it looks like I'm going to have to make some mods the the front brackets. It seems on the rear the bumpstops engage just before tyre makes contact with the chassis, but the front the tyre is a long way into touching the chassis (with a thud!) before it's engaging the bump stop. This make me think GTM did this to compensate for the lack of engine in the front so the suspension naturally rides higher???

I reckon the hole needs to be ~20mm lower to correct this so I'm going to weld some extra material on to add another hole to test my theory tomorrow.

I'll update with pictures an progress...

Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:52 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Let me know when you have the changes worked out as I have one set left so I will modify them and send you the set.
Peter.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

So...

Got the car up in the air with the wheels off to see an obvious problem - the left spring has snapped about an inch from the top! :shock: It was still working slightly but not ideal! Not 100% sure why this has happened but I was careful to make sure the bumpstop engaged before the coil went springbound so suspect it could have been a defect in the spring (it's done ~5 miles at a sedate pace and slow over all bumps)
Attachment:
DSC_0456.JPG
DSC_0456.JPG [ 140.98 KiB | Viewed 12260 times ]

I added some material and another hole about 18mm lower (what I worked out it need to be to engage the bump stop at the right point),I also upped the damping to 7 clicks on all corners and went for a spin - no contact with arches and speed bumps are doable if a little scrapey (with 2 people plus kit in the car).

The car feels a little softer in heave than it did with hydrogass, so I would be tempted to get some stiffer springs for the rear and fit the current rears to the front to see how that works - but this will be about 50% stiffer so may be too stiff! I'm currently 225lb front, 350lb rear, but it seems the stiffest you can get in 1.9" is 400lb which rules that out. The handling isn't noticeably different so I will play with the damping and update...

I have an entry in an autosolo this weekend so will be able to test how they handle when driven aggressively, I'll update with how it goes...
Attachment:
DSC_0457.JPG
DSC_0457.JPG [ 170.37 KiB | Viewed 12260 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0462.JPG
DSC_0462.JPG [ 134.45 KiB | Viewed 12260 times ]

Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Picture added here as it won't let me add to a Private message, Showing modification to coilover brackets that I have done on the front, pen drawing is original, pencil is what I added. I welded on an extra section of 3mm steel, ground flat and drilled an extra hole. Also see above picture for how it ended up looking on the car.

Worth noting 20mm might be too much if you want to run lower ride height ~17-18mm would like put the bump stop just early enough to stop contact with the arches, at 20mm I have a 5mm gap touching the bump stop.

Attachment:
DSC_0421.JPG
DSC_0421.JPG [ 73.98 KiB | Viewed 11813 times ]

Sun May 07, 2017 5:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Got it! I will change the drawings and get some made.
Thanks Oliver.

Sun May 07, 2017 6:31 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

It's also worth noting I had to trim about 3-4mm of material off the supports to avoid the coils touching the braces, so either move the holes out by that much or the braces back!

Just thought I'd say while you're doing mods!

Sun May 07, 2017 7:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
hi Peter
how much would a rear and modified front set cost
all so what springs did you and oliverracing use in the end

thanks for help

I think archiejacob would be interested in them too

converting-engine-in-k3-rossa-t3775.html
Quote:
I am thinking of rebuilding my Rossa K3. I would like to put a Honda Vtec 2 litre engine and gear box but to also convert the suspension to coil overs. Has anyone done anything like this before or is there anyone who could point me in the right direction.
Thanks

Sun May 07, 2017 8:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I'm currently running 13" AVO shocks with 8 inch 1.90 springs - 400lbs on the back and 275lbs on the front.

You could go harder if using the car for track (mines mainly road) but over 400lbs are harder to find.

I started with 350 and 225 and was constantly bottoming out.

Last edited by oliverracing on Thu May 11, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 07, 2017 8:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I started with 200 front and 300 rear but the fronts were too soft so I changed them to 250. I am also going to swap the rears for 350 as they are a bit too low for my liking.
They work out at £30 per axle so £60 for the car. Dampers I used were 13 inch adjustable from gaz.

Wed May 10, 2017 8:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

GTM: Rossa
PEEPS wrote:
Attachment:
IMG_0288.JPG

Comes as a kit of parts that clip together for welding giving a bit of mechanical strength as well as welded strength. About 30 quid for an axle set as shown. Takes GAZ 13 inch adjustable shocks and I have used 200lb springs on mine which seem man enough for the job.
Peter.

Hi

Do you do these assembled, as I have no way of getting them welded together?

Thanks

J.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:50 pm
Profile E-mail