It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
New coupe owner 
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: New coupe owner
Looking good

Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:17 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Nice work no messing

Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:50 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Starmag wrote:
Well thought i'd update this, making slow progress but progress neverless! My 1st go at welding/bodywork so go easy on me!

One of the previous owners cut a hole in the passenger sill for some reason.... which as you can see was full to the brim with water

Could I ask if you have added drain holes to the sills to prevent this happening again?
Was the water in there only because the previous owner cut the hole?
Normally car sills have drain holes in the bottom.
What does anyone else think?

Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

I think it was just because the big holes more than anything! There wasnt any water in the other sill, just lots of surface rust.
I think the problem is that the inside of the sills weren't painted when they were made so slowly get rusty over time. So I've painted the inside of mine and drilled some holes on the inner sills in each section for waxoyl.

I haven't drilled any drain holes, I'm going on the theory that if water can get out then it can get in from road spray etc. Not sure what anyone else has done?

Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:26 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Managed to get some time in the garage, only limited to weekends at the moment as it's too noisy for the evenings after work.

Got all of the plug welds ground down, apart from a couple which i can't get to because of the bracing. I'm definitely considering trying to borrow a spot welder for when i do the other side, it will save so much time!!
Also got the stitch welds down and the ends of the sills welded together. Just gotta grind down some of the welds to tidy them up then it'll be on to getting the floor pans in. I had originally wanted to get all the welding completed by Christmas, i'm going to try my best but i can't see it happening, i always find something new that needs welding whenever i look at the car haha! 

With the floorpans the edges need joggling, i have a joggler but it's not man enough, the steel is 1.2mm is there such thing as a heavy duty joggler or can anyoone recommend a way of joggling the edge in some other way?

Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:59 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I know what you mean about every time you look you see something new, I've been looking at mine 3 years now and I'm sure the job list is longer now than when I started :lol:
John

Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:23 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

back in the garage, got one side of the floor pan in... kind of, I've the stitch welds on the underside to do. Went for weld an inch then miss a couple and so on, then joined up on the corners.
Instead of GTM way.. weld an inch miss 10, weld an inch and so on.

Happy with how it's turned out, some welds i'm gonna grind down and redo as the welder started overheating and the wire wasn't coming out smoothly.

So heres my progress:

put some etch on the ground down welds where the floor is going to sit

making sure the panels fit in the hole, some fettling was needed but nothing major

painted the panels in any areas which are gonna be inaccessible once welded in

tacked

welded

Plan this week is to get the welds done on the underside so I can tidy them up on the weekend.

I think I was a bit optimistic to try and get the welding completed by Xmas. I'm gonna change that to floorpans and rollcage!

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:42 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

If not this one, there is always next Xmas :lol: in my experience the list of "todo's" never looks any shorter :cry:
John

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:32 am
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Haha yes thats very true John!! I can't it drag on too long, although I do enjoy sausage sandwiches and unlimited cups of tea from my grandad!!

kano nordie wrote:
If not this one, there is always next Xmas :lol: in my experience the list of "todo's" never looks any shorter :cry:
John

I did manage to get the majority of the welding done on the underside of the floor last night, finished up around 9.30 would have kept going but the welder started playing up again. Learnt from last time it happened that it's best to just let it cool down completely and try another day.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Well play ended it a bit early today, worn down my grinding discs grinding down the welds. Ordered a couple which should be here sometime next week.
Cut out some of the bracing which wasn't needed on the drivers side now that the new floor is in and also got rid of the passenger side floor, so it gives me better access for grinding down the welds. Should be a lot quicker doing the other side!

Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:37 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

I have always found when welding here in Kano its the welder getting dehydrated that stops the welding not the machine over heating :wink:
John

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Well we're long overdue an update, just to prove things have been happening!

Much of the same, passenger side this time

Never did get round to borrowing a spot welder, soo many to grind down!

Bracing out!

Got rid of some rust

Not happy with how the rear spaceframe looks

This is after cleaning it up

Had a good prod around the rest of the spaceframe

Nearly every part of the spaceframe has holes in it now, and the rear bulkhead is just full of rust behind the frame so rear bulkhead and frame is getting replaced!

Rust trap behind here too/door hinge stiffner

With some help I got the tub off the spit and onto a little trolley

Body down to see if that still fits, so much easier to get down with two people

Dust everywhere

Still fits

Tried with a seat in there and helmet on and my head doesn't hit the roof.... win

After lots of measuring, even used my laser to make sure the cage was sitting central & symmetrical, got it bolted in, had to cut some holes in the rear bulkhead so i could get the drill in

Getting the body back up top, on my own this time, was not fun..

Same with the tub back on the spit, I did have an engine crane this time though, should've taken the cage out to make it lighter too haha

Just working out where i can maximise room for the engine

Next to do:
replace the rear bulkhead/spaceframe
mock the engine up
more rusty panels to replace
get some rollcage spreader plates folded and welded in

We're in the middle of buying our first house, just waiting on a completion date now. So trying to get as much done as I can while it's all fresh in my head, but as soon as we get the keys the gtm is gonna be put to one side, until my garage at the house is ready!

Sat May 13, 2017 9:23 pm
Profile E-mail
Where is my Number Plate?

Awesome effort, really making good progres, well done.

Nice cage too 8)

Sun May 14, 2017 10:01 am
Part built GTM

Cheers! It's getting there, i certainly didn't imagine there would be so much welding to do, it's all good practice though!

Bit of a push before house takes over, had a few hours on sunday... still waiting on a date for completeion/exchange.
I got some bits from Derek to save myself some time and hassle.

Made a start on the rear spaceframe, i'm hoping to get a few evening in this week and i'll have all weekend because the mrs is on a hen do... win!

Mon May 22, 2017 7:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Part built GTM

Wow, 15 months since my last update!

Things have been real busy, although not on the coupe unfortunately.

To cut a long story short, we brought our first house in June 2017.... completely gutted the place down to the bare blocks, and then working every evening and weekend, knock walls down, add new ones, add downstairs toilet, knock through kitchen diner, patio doors, windows, re wire, re plumb, boiler, bathroom, kitchen, flooring, doors, skirting, tiling, blinds etc...... the only things original are 80% of the windows, front door and the roof.

Unbelievable amount of effort and hard work, help from family members and luckily being a tradesman I had a lot of friends to help, a lot of big favours are owed haha.

April 2018 we moved in and last week the kitchen was finished! Still the odd job left to do

I may start a new thread but you get the idea

bathroom

Lounge

Downstairs loo

Was bedroom, now dining room

Kitchen

Kitcehn/diner

Not fully up to date but you get the jist..

We're both so happy with the result, and being done in what I think is a short amount of time... well working part time on it anyway, has given me a massive boost, feeling really positive and hopefully I can apply the same level of energy into the gtm, I want to keep the ball rolling!!!

It's still in the grandparents garage, looking sorry for itself. I haven't got round to clearing ours out yet as it's full of building materials.

Here's a sneak peak of what I was getting into a week before we got the keys to the house...

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next