It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:50 pm

Let the Journey Begin 
Looking like a GTM

Post Let the Journey Begin
Early start this morning, up at 06:15 mug of coffee & out into the truck, fill it up with fuel & off I go, A14 is closed so 180 miles, 3.5 hours & a divert later I end up in deepest darkest Kent I pull into the farm for my latest acquisition. Met up with Derek who drove it onto the truck, said my Goodbyes & set back off un North, a few shots, anyone recognise it, any history, must have been parked as it's not showing on the MOT history database. The fun started when I tried to reverse it off the truck, the gear selection is a like a stick in the puddle of treacle, something must be wrong as there is no way it can be that bad & driveable, suspect a bush or a link has come loose.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:58 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: Let the Journey Begin
That one looks in pretty good shape so hopefully not too much of a project. I think the petrol tank is in the wrong place though :roll:

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

sanzomat wrote:
That one looks in pretty good shape so hopefully not too much of a project. I think the petrol tank is in the wrong place though :roll:

It's the special Safari edition for long range motoring, there is a distinction smell of petrol inside, so I'm presuming the tank is a replacement for an installed leaking one. Both doors have dropped, are there uprated hinges or can the pins be replaced?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Am I right in thinking these are Sierra indicators? Any specific year/model, car was first registered in 1999 but no idea when it was manufactured

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:55 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

GTM: Cox/Coupe
The original Sierra XR4 front indicator lenses and driving lamps are as rare as hens teeth and sell for large sums.
Clear lens versions of the indicator are sold by Burton's
https://www.burtonpower.com/clear-front ... o-112.html

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Thanks for the link, I'll get it through the MOT first & then look to get them changed, alternative is to remove them altogether, fibreglass the holes up & replace with another set, I'm not bothered about the fogs.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
I found this on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113945692959

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

I like o keep a record of time I spend on the kitcars so please ignore the twaddles it's as much for my benefit as anybody eases, as said earlier not sure how long it's been parked up but most things seem to work, so just going to tidy it up & put it in for an MOT. The hi-level brake light wasn't working, which I know it doesn't need, but it ought to work if it's there so started with that, took off the wires, used a piece of wood between the seat & pedal got a meter & have power there. Pulled the unit apart to find only 1 bulb instead of 3 & wiggling it around I could get it to flash, cleaned up the terminals & each socket now works, just waiting for some new bulbs.

Then onto the fog lights, it has a pair but neither work, started with the easy bit, pulled the fronts off to test the bulbs offside was fine, nearside flashed as I tried to get it out, couple of wiggles later it's on, still pulled out the bulb & cleaned the holder. Back to the offside I had 12V on the terminal but no earth, after pulling out the holder I found

It has cleaned up but will need a new terminal on the wire & may have to look at replacing them later in the year, looks like somebody mounted them on foam which is why they are holding water. Personally I hate rear foglights & never use them, so I may blank them off & use the 3rd brake light as a fog & brake light, just needs a diode in the circuit.

So once they are finished tomorrow, hopefully the last thing I need to sort is the windscreen washer, I can hear the pump just no water coming out, then it can go for test, although I may have to look at the gear change before my MOT tester collects it, it's like stirring a pudding trying to find a gear, need to get the arse in the air to look, but it's not at home, it's on a drive 1/2 mile away with no tools.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

catsam wrote:

Thank you to be honest I've not looked at the front fogs yet, not too worried as I doubt I will ever use them, I'll have look tomorrow when I go back up.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:39 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Phaeton wrote:
catsam wrote:

I've not looked at the front fogs yet, not too worried as I doubt I will ever use them.

You could fix them and wire them so just one comes on when you steer round a corner like so many modern cars do.

But IMHO that is a daft thing to do and really annoys me on other peoples cars so please don't. Rant over! :evil:

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

sanzomat wrote:
But IMHO that is a daft thing to do and really annoys me on other peoples cars so please don't. Rant over! :evil:

Oh in that case I may just have to do that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No chance

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:59 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

The car has been up at my fathers bungalow so working there has been a little difficult as he has very few tools now, at 95 he has very little need for them, most have migrated down to mine. Advantage up there is I can be undercover whereas at home it's out on the open drive. But decided to swap the Beetle over with the K3 to try to get a few jobs done over the weekend. Getting it off the drive was fun the gear stick is like a spoon in treacle, no idea what gear you might get, so that was the first job to tackle. The forward backward movement seemed to work it was across the gate that was not working, I wanted to take the whole thing off but couldn't spilt the forward/aft movement shaft, so whilst it was still on the car I managed to drill out the bar from 6mm to 8mm & put a new bolt in, it's taken up some slack but I suspect it will still be a horrible gear change, but hopefully I only have to lie with it a few months until I can get my 1.8VVC rebuilt & fitted along with a PG1 box which will go to cable change. I had to remove a section of the exhaust, I'm hoping when I try to put it back tomorrow it's not going to be in the way, I may have to modify it with a large hammer.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:28 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Phaeton wrote:
large hammer.

At least the most important tool is available :D

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:17 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

sanzomat wrote:
At least the most important tool is available :D

I am hoping not to have to use it, but it's there if there are no other options.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:04 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Took the rear clamshell off to rewire the back lights, keep looking at the VVC cylinder head I will take the plunge one day :lol:

Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:39 pm
Profile E-mail