It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:52 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Let the Journey Begin 
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Let the Journey Begin
I never knew a Hammer could be used for wiring!

:lol:

Neil

Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:48 am
Looking like a GTM

You're not a real DIY'er then, a hammer can be used in every situation, whether it's needed or not :lol:

Alan..

Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:04 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Looks a bit neater now, just need a few grommets & more fixings to tie wrap the wiring to.

Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:12 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder

heres one to start you off...

Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Been putting off rebuilding the VVC head for several months but decided to tackle if yesterday afternoon, well what a job, reckon it's something that if you did on a regular occasion it would be something you could do easily, but the first time wow what a tricky thing to do. You start with

Which you have to build into

Then offer it up to the head whilst trying to locate those spigots into the holes in the previous image whilst also engaging the small cog into the teeth of cam timing adjuster

Once you have done it you end up with

However then you have to lock that end off & repeat the same at the other end but this time you have slightly less movement because you cannot adjust it slightly after fitting like you can with the first end.

Then the only other issue now that there is no way to test you have it all correct until it's fully built, installed in the car & up & running !!!!

From start to finish I was at it over 6 hours, must have built & rebuilt it over 15 times, it was one of those, no, no, no, no, no, no, no that's not right, oh that's right on it slips without issue,

Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:20 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
You can test it a bit by manually pushing in the piston from the hydraulic control unit and checking that the control rod turns and it turns the VVC mechs. Then check that the timing marks line up again when the piston/rack goes back up.

I'm assuming you found the timing marks? I agree, much trial and error getting them to line up, particularly the second one like you say. Well done for getting there.

Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

sanzomat wrote:
You can test it a bit by manually pushing in the piston from the hydraulic control unit and checking that the control rod turns and it turns the VVC mechs. Then check that the timing marks line up again when the piston/rack goes back up.

I'm assuming you found the timing marks? I agree, much trial and error getting them to line up, particularly the second one like you say. Well done for getting there.

Thanks for that I'll try that tomorrow, yeah found the timing marks, currently I can get a 4mm dowel in each so I'm hoping I got it set right

Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

GTM: Libra
hi, I can remember doing my one a couple of times.
this helped me out

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OWmH7t ... sp=sharing

I don't know if you no this but when you put cam carrier on you must use an 'anaerobic' sealant. this means it only cures when it is starved of air so any sealant you get in the oilways will not go off.

you don't wont to block the oil ways

you can use loctite 574.

there is a diagram in the rave manual showing where to apply the sealant.

good luck.

Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:55 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Seem to be going through mixed emotions with my cars currently & have thought about selling the K3 on, struggling with getting enthusiasm to tackle the jobs, but looking to take it for a MOT later this week.

But to the question, the drivers door bottom hinge is worn, reading the manual they appear to be special builds that came with the kit, are they available (doubt it) can they be repaired? Possibly drill out the pin & replace it?

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:17 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Set off for the MOT this morning, first thing I noticed is that the seat was sodden, nice, then about a mile from the house the engine cut out & I coasted to a halt, all the lights, horn, wipers worked just nothing on the key, no dash lights or anything. After a bit of head scratching, fuse checking, ringing the MOT station to cancel & somebody to come tow me, I moved the wires coming up from the starter motor (which had just been replaced before I bought it) went back to the key & it fired up. So decision continue or go home, decided to continue & got to MOT station 10 minutes late to find he hadn't finished the one in front of me anyway :lol:

After a bit of haggling over how the emissions should be tested a Q plated 1999 registered kitcar with an engine from an early 1990's donor, it's come out with a Pass just needs some tyres, the discs have been put as advisories but he thinks they look newish & should clean up.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:57 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

You just do no about MOTs
nice to see one more back on the road
What's next on the list to do

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Need to get tyres, so on the look out for a set of 4, currently running 155/65x13 what size are others running?

But before that I have a fuel leak, the car came with a spare tank, I put 15L in the existing one & immediately got a strong petrol smell, so this evening I've pulled the old one out, the replacement isn't exactly the same so tomorrow new pipes need to be made & bend down or remove a tab at the front.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Ready for SVA

I have Yokohama A539 - 185/50 R14 on my car With no problems
when i had the metro tank in my car it always seems to have a petrol smell but it did have some tipe off apoxey on the vent pipes wich could have been where the smell was coming from

Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

The fun of having kitcars

Only big issue was that I put 15 litres of fuel in on the way back, UNDER £15!!! by the time I got home the petrol smell was quite bad & there was petrol on the floor under the passenger seat! It did come with a spare tank now I knew why, decided to remove the old tank only to find it wasn't exactly the same, the sender is in a different place so despite trying to modify it I doubt it will work properly. The new tank also had to be modified to fit, cut the pipes down etc.

Put it all back together only to find it won't start, spins over but won't start, first thing I found was that the fuel pump wiring had been swapped over previously live to earth & earth to live, took the pipe back off the pump, turned on the ignition, no fuel, rewired it back to live to live, earth to earth, switched on ignition I had fuel coming out Wahoo fixed, nope, still won't start, I have fuel all the way up the injection unit, pulled a plug I have spark but still won't start, it does try a little. That was last night just waiting for the weather to pick up so I can go out & have another look, I'm suspecting a bad earth, but who knows on a car that'snot been on the road for 15+ years.

Thank on the tyres @catsam but for now I'm staying 13" if I can get on with the car I may go 1.8VVC next year so might try to go up to 15"

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Spent Saturday & Sunday between the torrential storms chasing down the intermittent fault, at first I thought it was a live near the ECU, then the lives coming off the starter motor but in the end I hope it was just a loose connection of the big connector into the ECU so put a big tiewrap around it. Since then although very little mileage it's not cut out again, but without a definite fault I'm still waiting for it to bite me in the arse.

Next job is the dropping drivers door, you need to be a contorsoinist to get to the 6 nuts holding the door on, hand through the dash, of course there one that you couldn't get a full spanner on because of the fibreglass, so 12th of a turn, turn spanner over, 12th turn, turn spanner over, repeat, eventually managed to get a 6th turn, but it did come off.

Once off stripped down the door card to get to the other 6 bolts bit easier & spun them off with the gun & a spanner, once off it was evident what was wrong, the top hinge had virtually seized & I could not open & close it by hand, but after some working & some Plus gas it freed up.

But the problem is more with the bottom one, it has seized up in the past & then it's broken the welds that hold the pin

With very little effort the thing came apart I now have to try to get the pin out, I tried a punch, then putting one end into a socket & then into a vice

I looked for my blow torch but no gas, so will have to wait until tomorrow & see if getting it hot will persuade it to part. Failing that I may have to drill it out but getting it square in the vice to drill is aways a problem without proper workshop facilities.

Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next