It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:22 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Kano Coupe 
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Kano Coupe
try some IPA on the window, that can be very good at softening glue.

Measurement wise do not take them as gospel as you may find you need to tweak things slightly the joys of a fiberglass car.

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:48 pm
On the Road

I used ethanol, because we have it as a perfume base, and it does seem to work with quite a bit of rubbing with a soft rag we now have doors assembled and engine cover mesh grills fitted in the house and I refitted the front section back onto the chassis on Sunday afternoon, I was attempting to get the rear plexiglass window in but failed as soon as I got to the halfway into the seal rubber stage, when it popped out at the corner, I have long ago fitted screens, even in my old Cox after breaking one, but never one with such tight radius corners, advice is welcome if you have done it :lol:
John

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:18 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

After another frustrating Sunday morning failure to fit the rear screen with the smallest section (and corner radius) of sealing rubber from Seals Direct, plan B has been executed, as I had to buy a sheet of Polycarb material at least I have plenty left over to make an oversized rear screen with an additional 1' added all around, out with the jig saw, get cutting then off to the kitchen screen in hand with a hot air gun and using my biggest cooking pot, which was about right compared to the original screen, to form the end radius after heating the sheet, if I can find here I will use plastic number plate screws or if that fails pop rivets.
John

Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:03 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Nigeria is a funny old place, from almost running into about 40 camels being walked along the main road into Kano at 5.20 this morning while still dark, suspect they were not kosher, why would you walk them in in the dark at that time, stolen camel steak for Xmas i wonder??
PU sealant seams to be almost not available here, window installers use silicon sealer?? I did find and buy a tube of German made but branded Visa Petroleum PU 6988 (Nigerian Company) on sale to test, but testing was delayed as no nozzle supplied and bigger than the normal silicon sealer nozzles, so Sunday morning was spent disconnecting all the engine/subframe attachments prior to dropping it down, all I can say there is a lot more bits attached than in my old car!!
John

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:48 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

28-29 December dropped out the engine with my newly made A frame and chain block, then put it up on my work table on wood blocks under the subframe to hold it upright, with my modified subframe I could still get the clutch cover off, but don't think it is intended to remove the clutch housing without removing the engine, with enough chocking, tilting and loosening the timing cover mounts you can get the clutch housing off but only just, the 1st time I've seen inside for more than 30 years when I built it up and it all looked very clean and decent in there, now to inspect the oil pump to see if that is the cause of the oil draining back to sump, or do I have to dig deeper?
John

Attachments:
GTM engine 1.jpg
GTM engine 1.jpg [ 91.41 KiB | Viewed 8618 times ]
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:27 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Housing off oh and I put the Body back onto the chassis, but just sitting there not attached

Attachments:
GTM engine 2.jpg
GTM engine 2.jpg [ 105.04 KiB | Viewed 8618 times ]
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:28 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Having attached the body back onto the chassis, I hooked up the doors, the left, my drivers side looks pretty good but the right passenger door is terrible not even quite the right shape so a lot of fudging with slotted door hinges is going to happen that side :cry:
John

Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:12 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Sunday morning outside at 1st light to fit the front screen, I have one of Dino's heated and tinted screens and a S/H Triplex screen bought off here as a spare, when I offered up Dino's screen I found it would be a very tight fit in the middle, the older Triplex screen was 10mm smaller across the middle and although tight was fitted, but both screens were the same width at the widest point at the lower corners but the aperture in the shell was bigger with L-H (drivers) side not really into the surround rubber.
I will try to get a couple of aerosol cans of RAL1004 paint when next in the UK, then I can bond in an extension in the door pillar sides and deepen the middle to fit Dino's screen, although it was a virgin shell so much appears to be out of shape no wonder it never got built in its previous life!
John

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:01 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

John
I’ve just had the same issues with the heated screen
I had to file away the lower edge of the aperture by around 10mm on the drivers side so that it would fit vertically
Horizontally it was really too narrow at TV he bottom corners but just into the rubber each side. I fitted it with sealant and I’m hoping for the best.
Ours is also a virgin shell
I suspect the screen was not a good shape.

Andy

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:17 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

All very frustrating :evil: I have jobs I could be doing but can't get materials due to lockdown and I cant get into my company workshop to get bits of machining or welding done, I ordered polyester resin to make screen side extensions to allow the Dino screen to be fitted, but the delivery driver arrived at our UK subsidiary the day after your lockdown and although a nearby alternative address was posted on the reception door my resin was returned to sender and no knowing if or when I will receive, next "wahala" I had fitted the old style B-L round front indicator and side lights but did not like the look of them, I think the 13' wheel coupes would normally be fitted with Metro lights? but have never seen a Metro here so cut myself a little cardboard template to the slight radius at the edge of the front section to check out the flasher side light units fitted to the Indian made tuktuks that fill up our roads, almost perfect fit, so bought a pair and made a little alli backing plate to cover up the slight difference in shape, now needed some epoxy resin to glue backing plate to light units, but due to our shutdown the shops are shut and unlike you no home deliveries here if ordered online, so here I am cooking, scratching my bum (I wash hands after scratching!) and anything else I can do to keep occupied.
John

Mon May 04, 2020 6:45 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post 9ger Coupe
As Kano Coupe refuses to open and let me post updates this is the continuation version,
I decided the round Mini/Defender style indicator and side lights did not look right on the front section they will be taken back to UK as spares for my Defender, so I looked around here and found something almost fitting the slight GTM front curve fitted to Indian Bajaj 3 wheel tuk tuks, so that's what we have fitted.
John

Attachments:
GTM front 003.jpg
GTM front 003.jpg [ 68.44 KiB | Viewed 7292 times ]
Wed May 27, 2020 2:15 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Post Re: 9ger Coupe
The nether regions have been fitted and the engine/subframe refitted (but not for long) along with the mk2 riveted in rear screen, I could not find anything to replace the rear lights locally so stuck with what came with the car after lots of soldering to sort out the internal earth connections.
John

Attachments:
GTM rear 1.jpg
GTM rear 1.jpg [ 76.46 KiB | Viewed 7291 times ]
Wed May 27, 2020 2:21 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Post Re: 9ger Coupe
Coming together John. Like the TukTuk lights. I can reply here!

Wed May 27, 2020 3:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

testing!!!!!

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:10 am
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Merged you other thread with this one john to keep it all together.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:13 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next