It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:39 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Kano Coupe 
On the Road

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Kano Coupe
As the space was so tight under the ac compressor I had to drop the engine to get the water pipe from the header tank to the center tunnel connected, the the stainless pipe cleared but the space was too small for the silicon hose to pass!! That was Saturday job.
As the engine was out I took the plunge to take a few more steps backward??

Attachments:
GTM water pipe 1.jpg
GTM water pipe 1.jpg [ 92.31 KiB | Viewed 7537 times ]
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:27 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Since I built up this engine and gearbox I have always had an oil weep from underneath on the selector bellcrank hinge post, when it was just a bush race engine used once every 5 to 6 weeks it did not worry me, if driven on the road I need to fix it, so Sunday job was engine out of subframe and the unit on the bench to split from the gearbox, now you lot get to see up its nether regions in all its glory, rods machined to equal length, (anything up to 4 thou variation) Lightened and balanced end for end then polished, all other go roundy and up and down bits were also polished and lightened, you can just see the distributor drive shaft.
No wonder it took me 9 months to build

Attachments:
GTM engine polished rads etc 4.jpg
GTM engine polished rads etc 4.jpg [ 93.84 KiB | Viewed 7537 times ]
GTM engine polished rads etc 4.jpg
GTM engine polished rads etc 4.jpg [ 93.84 KiB | Viewed 7537 times ]
GTM engine polished rods etc 3.jpg
GTM engine polished rods etc 3.jpg [ 86.65 KiB | Viewed 7537 times ]
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:38 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Lightened flywheel and comp clutch

Attachments:
GTM lightened flywheel 5.jpg
GTM lightened flywheel 5.jpg [ 71.39 KiB | Viewed 7537 times ]
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:41 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Lightened flywheel + comp clutch, next weekend if all goes to plan i will remove the main and lay shaft from the gear box to get to the leaking O ring on the selector pivot post and anybody curious will get to see inside with its central oil pickup and selector shaft through the front of the casing
John

Attachments:
GTM lightend flywheel 6.jpg
GTM lightend flywheel 6.jpg [ 77.48 KiB | Viewed 7530 times ]
GTM lightened flywheel 5.jpg
GTM lightened flywheel 5.jpg [ 71.39 KiB | Viewed 7530 times ]
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:34 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Sunday 7th June removed main and lay shaft from the GTM gearbox to allow access of the oil weeping selector fulcrum pivot in the base of the gear box, the pinion nut was tight and had big problems finding something to hold to gain enough leverage to loosen it, but after the 9.30 tea break sussed it out and got it loose, the modification to pass the selector shaft through the front of the casing actually looks quite simple, but when I did it, I had a lot of worries especially as if it all went ‘tits up” the chance to find a replacement gearbox here in Nigeria would be very close to zero.
John

Attachments:
GTM gearbox1.jpg
GTM gearbox1.jpg [ 90.87 KiB | Viewed 7442 times ]
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:35 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

The selector shaft is a direct copy of the standard selector on its left side, it is extended to be long enough to pass through a bronze sealed bushing in the front of the casing, the shaft had to have a cutaway where the revers gear passes over the top, this was made with no sharp edges to reduce the possibility of cracking in use, the revers selector had to be modified to give clearance as it would normally pass where the new shaft is, it all works and having done one it looks quite easy.
John

Attachments:
GTM gearbox2.jpg
GTM gearbox2.jpg [ 88.48 KiB | Viewed 7441 times ]
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:42 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Interesting on the selector mod, I was always led to believe that you had to loose reverse for this mod, You have shown it can be done!

Neil

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:55 am
On the Road

Hi Neil,
I did hear of twinny mini that had the revers deleted on the on the rear engine after I had done this and with a Twinny it would be OK. Done once it is quite simple, but looking at an empty gear case thinking shall I or shant I??? the machining was done late 1980's, the twiny did not get finished till almost 10 years later as I was collecting bits and had 3 engines and 2 body shells, only one complete and still being used as a bush racer,
Regards
John

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:50 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Weeping selector assembly with crushed O ring, a lot of work to get in there!!

Attachments:
Mini Selector assembly.jpg
Mini Selector assembly.jpg [ 61.24 KiB | Viewed 7347 times ]
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:07 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Modified reverse selector, cut and shut to go under the selector shaft

Attachments:
Modified  reverse selector.jpg
Modified reverse selector.jpg [ 59.79 KiB | Viewed 7347 times ]
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:08 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

LSD plate clutch mini diff, very nasty in a front drive Mini on a tarmac road, a whole new meaning to torque steer, OK off road.
Not sure how it will make a GTM behave, if too unfriendly I will have to get a Xpin diff to replace it.
In the mid 1980's when we fitted a Jack Knight Mini LSD in a Jedi, we only did one event before removing, since fitted Quaife and still using them.

Attachments:
Mini LSD diff.jpg
Mini LSD diff.jpg [ 77.75 KiB | Viewed 7347 times ]
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:17 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Having cured the oil weep from the selector fulcrum in the base of the gearbox, put everything back into the GTM's nether regions, leaving my A frame crane and hoist where I last used it, it was not a nice surprise to find the A frame toppled over with the horizontal beam laying just in front of the car, we had a big storm mid week and when it rains here the temperature drops causing the wind to rush in, I never thought strong enough to blow over the A frame, but lesson learned, hook it up to something heavy to hold it down, if GTM's were just a tad longer, I could have had a chain block as a bonnet mascot, I did get a scrape across the passenger (R-H) door and spent Sunday clearing up the mess rather than doing something productive.
No step forward 2 steps back.
John

Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:07 am
Profile E-mail
Where is my Number Plate?

I’m interested in how you get on with an Lsd in there....?

I know someone else who tried it, and he said it turned the car into his worst nightmare to drive. :(

I think he did less than 10 miles in it before he removed it. :shock:

Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:38 am
On the Road

It is a plate diff so not as friendly as the viscous coupling or ramp types, so will just have to try and see, If I had a Xpin now would be the time to fit

Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:52 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

After refitting my engine I had left the A frame crane over the rear of the car then a few days later we had a big rain storm and as usual here it came with heavy winds, enough to blow the a frame over, luckily the chain block did not hit the front section or it could have become an unusual bonnet mascot!! on the way over it had scraped the passenger R-H door, what I had not noticed until I tried to open it was that it had jammed the lock, Sunday morning at the crack of doom, tried to jiggle it, lever it loosen the nuts but had used Nylocks so did not get far, ended up cutting off the bolts at inside nut level with an angle grinder, but still it would not open, so cut off the plastic part of the door latch, any of you who has moulded acetyl resin/Delrin will know when burnt it gives off horrible fumes, most enjoyable with running eyes and nose in a small closed space, I cursed the idiot (me) who decided not need of opening windows with an air conditioner, next stop to go shopping online for Marina/Range Rover door catches, grrrr
John

Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:13 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next