It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:58 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
V6 Libra for sale on eBay, non runner 
GTM delivered

GTM: Libra
Post Re: V6 Libra for sale on eBay, non runner
Installed the new fuel pump/filter, and refitted the tank, coolant lines, gear change linkages etc. last night. Great.
Put 20 litres of fuel in the tank this afternoon, turned the ignition key and the pump buzzed into life nicely, but the engine won't start. Pulled the fuel line off the fuel rail but no fuel when I run the pump/ignition.
Thought I may have kinked or trapped the fuel lines under the tank, but I dropped it down slightly by removing the bolts and have the same issue.
Pump runs for a few seconds and then switches off, despite the system not reaching pressure... odd?

I'm a bit lost as to why I have no fuel flow. Any ideas before I remove it all again?! 20 litres should be enough to submerge the pump from an empty tank I'd have thought (gauge reads 1/4 full).

Anyway, my arms are scratched and bruised, and every part of me aches, but I'm having great fun (I think)! :D

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:01 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

GTM: Spyder
Have you checked the pressure regulator? Inline filter?

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:23 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

I removed the pump discharge line before the filter and put it in a bucket, so the pump had nothing but a short section of open hose on it. Very odd.

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Have you tried the easistart again just to make sure you have spark don't go chasing a fault you've cleared in case you're disturbed something else, HT lead etc.

Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:08 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Check pump polarity. Check inlet strainer. Make sure strainer is not squashed down to floor of tank. If both OK replace pump.

Be very careful with sparks and fuel vapour. Even bench-testing of fuel pumps is hazardous if there is air and fuel vapour in the pump.

Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:12 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Spider wrote:
Check pump polarity. Check inlet strainer. Make sure strainer is not squashed down to floor of tank. If both OK replace pump.

Be very careful with sparks and fuel vapour. Even bench-testing of fuel pumps is hazardous if there is air and fuel vapour in the pump.

Thanks Spider
Both the original and replacement pump have a large and small spade connector, earth and live respectively. I would expect the polarity to be the same on a direct replacement pump. Worth a try running it the other way though.
Thanks for the H&S tip as it's easy to become complacent and forget how volatile petrol is. Get it wrong and me, the car and house goes up in flames.

Heading to Devon for a week, so I can't tinker or cause any major fires in Cheltenham for a while!

Steve

Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:15 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

[quote="Spider"]Check pump polarity./quote]
I swapped tanks on my K3 from one that had the fuel sender on the front to one with the fuel sender on the top, the new tank came with a pump already so I swapped that over as well, but had to reverse the wires to get it to work, well I had to to reverse the reverse that somebody in the past had done on the tank.

Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:26 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Thank goodness I'm back home. There's only so much sunshine, cream teas, beer and coastal Devon walks with the woman of your dreams that a man can take! Back to reality!

Glencoe, the supplier/distributor of my new fuel pump, confirmed that the polarity is opposite to stock Rover. A little annoying but simply rewired the supply this morning and George fired into life first time. It's quite an exotic sounding engine that V6.

Just got to sort the airlock in the cooling system, as the engine reached 100 degrees C but the rad was still cold. I know it must be an airlock as I've put in less coolant than I took out!

Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

Drat that means you'll not be selling him to me as scrap then :lol: :lol:

p.s. Well done.

Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:16 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Phaeton wrote:
Drat that means you'll not be selling him to me as scrap then :lol: :lol:

p.s. Well done.

Not planning on giving up and scrapping it just yet, especially as it now actually drives down the road (which is always a bonus for a car!) :D

Would be nice to meet up with a few fellow GTM owners at Stoneleigh, when things eventually get back to normal.

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:11 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

Its a shame you didn't have it working this morning as there was a run out/meet just down the road from you near Stroud with the Kitnet guys. Angus in the Sonic7 came down from Cheltenham so you could have done a mini convoy. Kitnet will be doing a few more meets in the SW area now restrictions have eased a bit so you are very welcome to come along. As GTMOC don't have much local presence in this neck of the woods I don't think it is too cheeky to mention my other club on here!
Attachment:
IMG_2013.jpg
IMG_2013.jpg [ 699 KiB | Viewed 3476 times ]

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:37 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

sanzomat wrote:
Its a shame you didn't have it working this morning as there was a run out/meet just down the road from you near Stroud with the Kitnet guys. Angus in the Sonic7 came down from Cheltenham so you could have done a mini convoy. Kitnet will be doing a few more meets in the SW area now restrictions have eased a bit so you are very welcome to come along. As GTMOC don't have much local presence in this neck of the woods I don't think it is too cheeky to mention my other club on here!
Attachment:
IMG_2013.jpg

Thanks, that's good to know for the future. My car's been stood for some time, and was quite badly put back together by the bodyshop after it was painted, so quite a list of things to do before I get the car MOTd.

I'll search out Kitnet, I see they're on Facebook.

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:04 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM Nirvana

More happens on the main forum site than FB but it is a members only site. Free to register and two weeks trial but then £15 a year to continue. It is a very active club, started up in the Bristol area and most members and activity is still SW based but growing to have a national presence!

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:13 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

Hi,
Does anyone recognise the curved spring pin thingys in the top left of this pic? What are they?...

Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:07 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

I have a couple hanging on my garage security door, they are for joining pipes together you slide one pipe inside the other line up the holes & put the pins through. Although why you have them with your car I have no idea :lol: :lol:

Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next