It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:46 am

Rossa Mk 2 
Looking like a GTM

Post Rossa Mk 2
I was looking for a K3 but have seen a Rossa MK2 on ebay.

I've read about fitting more modern engines into the coupe, I presume much the same can be done to the Rossa Mk2?

Would I be right in thinking there is more room in the engine bay and the cockpit?

Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:04 pm
The Terrible Tims

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Rossa Mk 2
I think there is less room in the engine bay. The Rossa on Ebay has got to be a bit dodgy, as it says that it is tax exempt, but no Rossas were made until alot later and should be a Q plate.

I think Neil has looked into fitting different engines into the Rossa, he might be able to add more.

"Is est totus perfectus per fumi quod speculum"

Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

I guess it 'retained' the details a pre 75 mini or metro as a donor when it was first built?

I like the idea of tax free :mrgreen:

Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:17 pm
The Terrible Tims

But all cars like the Rossa that must have been built after the Q plate came out, must have been re registered.

If you ask about the details on the car, I'm guessing that it isn't down as a Rossa, but probably a Coupe.

The Q plates came in 1973, but the Rossa didn't come out until 1987. So something isn't right in my opinion.

Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:30 pm
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

I am sure you meant 1983 for Q.

The Mk1&2 Rossa have an engine bay moulded around the shape of a mini engine. I looked at alternatives and all of them involved cutting up the plastic. I can see no elegant way of doing so without reducing the strength of the car.

I got quite interested in a Mazda V6 at one point but the work required compared to a K3 didn't seem worthwhile. The most workable version I have seen is front engined bike motor driving the rear wheels. But again, why start with a Rossa for that?

Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:25 am
The Terrible Tims

If you are looking for a K3, then why don't you ring Talon a ring. They might know of one for sale, or let you know if one becomes available.

http://www.talonsportscars.com/index.php

Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:58 am
Profile E-mail
Looking like a GTM

The K3 I have is E registered (88) and the log book states GTM Rossa K3 under make and model. I think you will find that if the majority of the parts came from one vehicle and could be proved then the original registration could be kept. (I think a similar system applies to day but is more stringent on the parts used).
The donor car for a tax free vehicle would have to be registered before Jan 1973 not 75. (I know because I have a 73 Mk1 Capri that is not eligable for free tax as it is July 73) I doubt that a Q plate will be tax free as Q is given to a vehicle where the originality of the components or car can't be proved, therefore how can it be proved to be pre Jan73? I could be wrong but suggest that you do alot more digging before purchasing.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:40 am
GTM delivered

Mk2 engine bay with rear tub removed.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:26 pm
Looking like a GTM

Looking at that the K3 has more room to move around, as the two bits of body that protrude from the rear bulkhead either side of the engine have been done away with and replaced by two tubes to brace the very rear of the subframe back to the tub.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:55 pm
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

Tim Rowe (1130) wrote:
I think there is less room in the engine bay. The Rossa on Ebay has got to be a bit dodgy, as it says that it is tax exempt, but no Rossas were made until alot later and should be a Q plate.

I think Neil has looked into fitting different engines into the Rossa, he might be able to add more.

You are right i have been asked my thoughts on how i would attack a rossa before

personally, i would remove the rear turrets flush with the bulkhead, then have a full cage installed and a rear spaceframe tied into this cage and rest of the chassis thereby spreading the loads over as much of the chassis as possible, as the Rossa does flex a bit anyways i am told, and as it wasnt designed with havign a spacefram attached to teh back would be best to tie it into a cage.

WEST

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:26 pm
Looking like a GTM

Just looked at the evilbay auction and realised that it is not a Q reg but a K reg.(I misunderstood a previous post and thought that they had stated it was a Q plate, not that it should be a Q plate). This would indeed make it tax exempt and as stated above if the original build used the subframes, steering, engine and box from the Kreg car then he would have been able to get it registered as a rebodied mini and keep the original identity with the mods added to the log book.
Looking at the history of the GTM it states that the K3 was launched in the summer of 1993 therefore my one should be either a 1993 car, a Q plate or as in my case the original registration of the donor car due to the number of bits used from it. (1988).
(I have a number of kit cars and each one is registered differently depending on the laws at the time, in fact when I was in to hot rods you could get a brand new registration for your car if you could prove that the engine, box, back axle and body were all new!! (no need for an MOT for the first three years.)) obviously now things have changed, especially with SVA but I believe you can still "rebody!" cars if you have enough points (each part of the original car has a point or number of points attached to it for the main components, have enough points and you can keep your reg, not enough and it becomes a Q reg. At what point you need SVA I am un sure of.
I would suggest that you ask the seller what exactly is written on the V5c and if it is Rossa Mk11 then all should be well and it is then down to how much you want one, it's condition and how much you are willing to pay. Without the Rossa Mk11 bit on there I would be very careful.
Good luck.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:22 pm
Looking like a GTM

Thanks to everyone for the replies, particularly Allan for the photo, and I see the problem, and see the sense of a subframe tied into a roll cage - not sure I want a full roll cage in a fairly cosy cabin - am I right in thinking that the Rossa has a roomier cockpit and longer doors that the coupe?

Apparently the V5 says Rossa Mk2 - I had assumed that the builder had convinced the authorities that enough of the donor vehicle had been used to retain the original reg number and hence become tax exempt as a historic vehicle.

I had hoped to see the car tomorrow, but the seller has not got back to me yet.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:26 pm
GTM delivered

Allen7 wrote:
Apparently the V5 says Rossa Mk2 - I had assumed that the builder had convinced the authorities that enough of the donor vehicle had been used to retain the original reg number and hence become tax exempt as a historic vehicle.

The V5 is the important thing, as long as it is registered as a GTM how the builder got it past the authorities is irrelevant. However, if it is still registered as an Austin/Morris then it should fail the MOT. In this case you would have to go through the registration process including SVA, which could prove difficult with a car that wasn't designed for it in the first place (but not impossible).

If it is correctly registered, and tax exempt then you are onto a winner.

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:58 am
Looking like a GTM

Went for the tax exempt Rossa mk2 on evil bay but got out bid - only out bid by £130 but it was over the odds - I bid what I was happy paying for it.

Still looking for a GTM - probably a K3

Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:30 pm
On the Road

That's the only way to use ebay. Decide on a maximum and stick to it, otherwise you can get carried away.

Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:04 pm