It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next
Kano Coupe 
Where is my Number Plate?

GTM: Cox/Coupe
Post Re: Kano Coupe
kano nordie wrote:

Apart from knackered thrust bearings :roll:
Hope you get it sorted.
john

My knackered thrust bearings are most probably due to the use of,,,,, +1bar of boost, and too much nitrous oxide over the years,. Aswell as the main, glaring issue of not rebuilding the bottom end since 2004.

I feel it’s fair to say it’s WELL over due for a rebuild.

I’ll get it sorted, but what I have in mind isn’t going to be, a very sensible build.

(I’m not very sensible)

The reason I won’t get it done over night is, it’s not really cost viable,
(well not to me anyway),
plus the fact that the manufacturer of the main parts have said that, they only know of one other engine being built in this specification.

My way of thinking is... if your going to do a rebuild, make it a challenge, if its then worth doing as an engineering project, why not go for the biggest upgrade you can. :idea:

Going to have to leave you all hanging on that thought. sorry. 8)

Tue May 28, 2019 10:33 pm
On the Road

Next weekend came early, because we had been good and voted our president into office for a 2nd term he decreed we should have a national holiday on 29th May to celebrate his inauguration, also good news that it was overcast and cloudy which kept the temps down to the mid 20’s until lunch time giving me more time to play outside with my toy.
Following Ken and Stuart’s advice, I filled every orifice where oil normally hides and turned the engine in reverse rotation with a large socket, long extension and a ratchet on the crank pulley bolt. Oh happy day it worked, before long with all my hoses, all of 2m length, oil cooler and remote filter primed we had 40psi on the gauge when cranked without plugs fitted, to celebrate I fitted 4 of Mr NGK’s finest, instead of the tissue paper down the plug holes to stop dust and lizards getting in.
Next was to re-route a water hose hanging just below floor level before it entered the center tunnel to go up front to the cooling department, With our "gallops" on the road I think it would soon get wiped out! that was still work in progress when I retired for lunch.

Much appreciated Ken and Stuart and thank you Mr President

John

Thu May 30, 2019 6:19 am
Profile E-mail
Where is my Number Plate?

:wink: 8)

Thu May 30, 2019 7:51 am
On the Road

turbocox wrote:
kano nordie wrote:

I’ll get it sorted, but what I have in mind isn’t going to be, a very sensible build.

(I’m not very sensible)

The reason I won’t get it done over night is, it’s not really cost viable,
(well not to me anyway),
plus the fact that the manufacturer of the main parts have said that, they only know of one other engine being built in this specification.

My way of thinking is... if your going to do a rebuild, make it a challenge, if its then worth doing as an engineering project, why not go for the biggest upgrade you can. :idea:

Going to have to leave you all hanging on that thought. sorry. 8)

KAD/BMW head, throttle bodies, turbo, nitrous, ????

Thu May 30, 2019 8:43 am
Profile E-mail
Admin, and Coupe Nutter

kano nordie wrote:

ooo a guessing game...

A torque monster build
a combination of 998 block, 1098 crank, oversized pistons to 1250cc, cross flow head, supercharged with option to run methanol injection.

Neil.

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 pm
On the Road

WEST wrote:
kano nordie wrote:

ooo a guessing game...

A torque monster build
a combination of 998 block, 1098 crank, oversized pistons to 1250cc, cross flow head, supercharged with option to run methanol injection.

Neil.

Hi Neil,
That sound suspiciously like my 1st modified mini engine build, which was in an estate and used Imp pistons as they were lighter than Mini, I think it was 1163cc, back in the early 1960's the only 1275 engine was a Cooper S and like hens teeth, can't think why anybody would build one like that today though?? It was later replaced after breaking a crank in Milan (another long story) with a 1071 S

Regards
John

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:03 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

The oil pressure saga continues, we have it (psi) but only if primed 1st, I suspect because the oil supply and return to the Laminova cooler goes up to cylinder head level and then down to the vertical mounted oil cooler in front of the timing cover, this was done to ease water pipe connections. Plan B is to mount he cooler over the clutch cover ( in what was intended for a place to put he battery?) with short pipe runs, the inlet water to the block will have to pass across the rear of the engine just under the inlet manifold.
Have to put into position next weekend to see how it can fit
John

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:12 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

The revised mk3 (or is that mk4?) oil pipe to Laminova oil cooler connections with re-routed water pipes, oil pump primed and 40 psi when cranked, will leave it for a week to see if it self primes, fingers crossed.
John

Attachments:
OIl cooler install mk3 Reduced.jpg
OIl cooler install mk3 Reduced.jpg [ 114.79 KiB | Viewed 10161 times ]
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:07 am
Profile E-mail
GTM delivered

With regards to your handbrake - I have one in my moke - I was told to use the rear pipe for the rear brakes as the front one gets cut off by a seal in the cylinder - good luck - and yes I'm running a dual circuit and have soft brakes - about to re attack to see if I can get better

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:02 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Hi Steve,
I solved my rear brake problem, having bought a new AP master cylinder I stripped and cleaned my 20 year old but very little used cylinder, refitted, bled it and it worked, so now have a spare in stock "in case of incasity" as they say in this part of the world.
Thanks
John

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:06 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

After lengthy negotiations almost of Brexit proportions, as of yesterday the painter has started prepping my body, Oooh that sounds like fun, lots of filler and rubbing down to remove the ravages of all the years stood outside before I got it.
Also as of yesterday my new oil pump arrived from Mini Spares via DHL, which cost more than the pump, in a quiet moment at work the back plate will come off as per Mr Grizzler's instructions to check its clearances, I wont pull the engine just yet as the painter and I would be fighting over working space.
John

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:34 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

As of yesterday evening we now have a RAL1003 yellow body, the doors, engine cover and cut off rump end are now in the house, they can be washed off in the shower, such luxury and no wife/lady friend to complain!! the polycarb door windows are already in the shower trying to soak off the protective backing paper to stop it from being scratched, what should be easy peel off is not, so using a plastic scraper and finger nails for a very tedious job, I'm very wary about using solvents on plastics, but if anybody has suggestions I'll give it a try on a bit of the surplus sheet.
Cheers
John

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:09 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

After much picking and scraping the window backing paper is off, a little goo still remains, but does seam to come off with a little petrol soaked into a rag, or rather it smears it about a bit to a thinner layer!!
Next problem my body is old but a virgin, bet that made you smile :oops: and has never been fitted locks to doors or lock catches in the body, anybody got any measurements for lock and hole positions?
Regards
John

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:39 am
Profile E-mail
On the Road

kano nordie wrote:
Next problem my body is old but a virgin, bet that made you smile :oops: and has never been fitted locks to doors or lock catches in the body, anybody got any measurements for lock and hole positions?
Regards
John

Can't be many of those in Nigeria ;)

Anyway the manual seems to suggest that the door shells have small dimples where you need to drill. Have a good look at it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ethngwd9qgtk9nl/GTM%20Manual%20-%2089.pdf?dl=0

If not I can run a tape measure over my car.

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:34 pm
Profile E-mail
On the Road

Hi Ken,
I thought you would be the one with the answer, a little font of knowledge :D, so we have an aged virgin body with dimples, not so much dimples more like scribed lines in the mould, which needed a strong light and my spec on to see, but the manual is correct and the marks are there.
There is a national shortage of virgins here, so much so even the statue of the Virgin Mary in many churches has come into question? Many pastors now offer a reclamation service for a small fee for a blessing with "handling charges" to make "born again" virgins, I've had no personal experience so can't vouch for the effectiveness :lol:
Cheers
John

Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:06 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next